Chapter 1

There was someone watching us. I was sure of it. Even though the sun had gone down my vision was still good and as I looked behind my back I saw a pair of eyes hidden behind a tree.

"Blaze is something wrong?", Ash asked.

I looked into his worried gray eyes and smiled.

"Nope. Everything's fine."

Ash smiled back and slipped his hand into mine. The feel of his small hand in mine sparked a feeling of fondness in me. Once Ash's attention was focussed on something else I looked back again. This time I saw a shadow dart behind a tree.

I had to bite my lip to keep myself from growling. Whoever was following us would be in for an unpleasant surprise when we would disappear from his eyesight.

I turned to Ash. "Hey. Do you want to ride?"

Ash's lit up like I knew they would. "Yeah!"

I turned around and closed my eyes. I took a deep breath then I was a wolf. It felt good to be back in my wolf form and stretch my legs. I turned to Ash and motioned for him to get on with my head.

Ash hopped on and gripped my brown fur. Once he was ready I cast one more look back at the trees before bounding off.

Gradually I began to pick up speed and soon the wind flew past us. I could hear Ash laughing and couldn't help but feel at peace. This was the only time when I knew he was truly safe. When I was in my wolf form I knew my wolf instincts would protect him at any cost.

I didn't stop till we were halfway to our hideout. Then I let Ash hop off before I turned back.

Ash was grinning. His brown hair was ruffled from the wind.

"That was awesome."

"Yeah. It was. Come on kiddo. Time to get home."

"Okay."

I cast one more look behind me. No one was out there. The same familiar scents hit my nose. I turned and followed Ash.

*

"Goodnight Blaze."

I turned around and looked back at Ash who was all tucked into his bed.

"Goodnight Ash."

I turned off the light and turned on the TV so he could watch his shows. I headed to the kitchen and took out a package of crackers. I took out a few and then put some peanut butter on them.

The crackers were gone by the time I got to my room. It was neat and organized the way I liked it. When everything was messy smells mixed and it overwhelmed my nose. I laid in my bed and thought about our follower. It could've been another messenger from the Shadow Pack. Even though I turned them down tons of times they still asked.

That's the only thing that made sense. Nobody could be after Ash.

After all be was abandoned at the doorstep of an abusive drunk. If it hadn't been for me taking him away a week later he would've still been at that horrible man's house and that guy didn't have a nice scent either.

Ash's scent was more like the ash from an incense. It was sweet and strong. He may be only 8 but he's smart and talented. I could feel that he was important. Possibly the only person I've ever attached fond feelings for.

I would never let anything happen to Ash. He was the only one I had.

*

So this is my first story. I worked super hard on it so please let me know what you think. The chapters will get longer as the story progresses. So thank you for reading my story and giving it a chance!

~ Bianca