The Town With Pep

Rosita

I was laying in my bed, scrolling through Instagram. I was trying to avoid going downstairs. The house had seemed empty with everyone at dad's. I was the only one that wanted to stay with my mom, but that wasn't why I was avoiding downstairs. My parents insisted on fighting for custody of all of us instead of being civil. I heard footsteps coming down the hall. I quickly set my phone on my nightstand and threw the covers over my head. I pretended to be asleep as my door slowly creaked open. "Sita? It's time to get up and get dressed. We have to be at the courthouse soon." I opened my eyes but didn't move. "I don't want to go." My voice quivered. It sounded like I would break out crying at any moment. "I know you don't we have to go. If we don't your father automatically gets all of the kids. Now get dressed." My mom walked out and I stood up. I walked to my closet and pulled out a grey cashmere sweater with black jeans. I quickly got dressed and threw my hair into a pony. My glasses were already on. I grabbed my phone and walked downstairs. "Honey why don't you put some makeup on? You look a little rough." My mom told me. "I don't have any makeup, Mom." "You can use some of mine." I shook my head. "No thanks. I'm fine." I grabbed an apple and bite into it. "Well we better get going." I nodded. "Yeah don't want your father to get you guys."

We walked out the door and climbed into the car. The drive to the courthouse wasn't that far away. Me and my mom didn't talk during the car ride. It wasn't an comfortable silence but more of an awkward silence. We pulled up to the court house and stepped out of the car. As soon as my feet hit the cement flashes went off. There was paparazzi everywhere. My Grandmother pushed through the crowd. "Rosie." She pulled me into a hug. She looked my mom up and down. "Sofia." "Mary."  "Everyone's inside. They're waiting to be called in." We walked the rest of the way inside.

There was a little waiting area where my dad and my siblings were sitting. My dad stood up and pulled me into a hug. I might have wanted to live with my mom but I still loved my dad. After all he was my dad. My dad looked at my mom but didn't say anything. "Kids why don't you go take a little walk. Nicolas, I'll call you when they call us in." Everyone walked away but I stayed. "Go on, Rosita. The adults need to talk." My dad told me. I turned and walked away. I caught up to Lili. "You do know the judge is gonna give us to dad right?" Lili asked me. "What makes you say that?" I snapped. "He has the better job, a majority of the kids want to go with him, it's just the facts." I shook my head. "The judge always picks the mom and those are the facts." I told her. She nodded. "Ok then. Nic, talk some sense into your twin."

Nic was my twin brother but we weren't exactly the same. He was popular and I was the schools nerd that had no friends. Everyone fell for him but No one fell for me. He turned around and walked towards me. "Lili, why don't you take Nat to the bathroom before we go into the courtroom. Lili sighed and grabbed Natalia's hand. They turned the corner and disappeared. "do you know why mom and dad are divorcing?" Nic  asked me. "Because they lost their spark? I don't know." Nicholas shook his head. "Dad came home from work one night, when we were all at grandma's and walked in on mom making out with some rando." I shook my head. "No mom wouldn't do that." "But she did do it, Rose. Apparently they'd been doing it for two months." I shook my head. "You're just trying to turn me against mom. Well it's not gonna work. We should be with mom." "Why should we be with her and not dad?" "Because...." I thought for a minute but couldn't come up with a reason. "The judge is gonna ask you the same question when we go in there and if you want to live with mom you better have an answer." He walked ahead and my phone started ringing. I pulled it out of my pocket. It was my dad. I answered it and put it up to my ear. "You guys should start heading back. They're gonna call us back soon." "Ok we'll be right there." I hung up. "Dad says we should head back." He nodded. "You wanna go get the girls." I nodded.

I walked into the girls bathroom and Lili and Nat were washing their hands. "Dad says we should head back." We all walked back and there was a lady standing with our parents. "Ok, are we all ready Harper family?" My dad nodded. We were lead inside the courtroom and the judge was behind the stand. "Ok this is the custody battle of Rosita Harper, Nicolas Harper, Liliana Harper, and Natalia Harper. Children please take a seat in the back, Parents come to the front."