Chapter 1

The atmosphere had been filled with uncomfortable heat & tension that was making it difficult for Serena to stay any longer. She really did attempt to try & enjoy herself & not disappoint her friends, but every passing minute was a minute wasted.

"What's going on with you?" Asked Jake carefully, shifting positions on the couch as everybody else began downing shots.

"I don't really want to talk about it." She shrugged, not feeling up for a conversation at all.

Jake sensed this & let up, averting his attention back to his peers.

Serena rose up & gave a soft smile to the boy, turning on her heel & fleeing away from the scene. She had never really been too fond of parties anyway.

Pulling out her phone, she had ten missed calls & numerous texts.

Alexis: why won't you just talk to me?

Alexis: please I can explain.

Alexis: it wasn't what it looked like I promise

Serena groaned audibly. How else did it look?

She ignored the messages & shoved the device back into her pocket.

"Didn't know you'd be here." A familiar figure appeared.

Just fucking great.

"Hi to you too, Mercedes."

Serena noticed the evident smirk on her face & cringed inwardly as she remembered the history they had. That same piercing look in her dark blue eyes.

"I still think you're hot."

Serena arched an eyebrow, disregarding what the girl opposite just said. She always had a bad habit of thinking she was far from anything remotely hot or beautiful; when in reality she was drop dead gorgeous.

Serena was the kind of humble girl. Never once bragging about how many people lined up for her or followed her around like a lost puppy. She never put herself on that pedestal & you'd think with her long silky brunette hair that framed her face perfectly & her hazelnut eyes that lured you in so magically & with a body that curved in all the right places so impeccably that she'd be in the clouds wearing a crown- but no.

She was just Serena Connelly. A simple girl navigating her way through high school alongside friendships & healthy connections, relationships & complications, a life she was matter of fact content with, however, heartache hurt like a bitch.

hope y'all will enjoy my story <3
- larissa