15. good for my heart but bad for business

[Song recommendation for this chapter:]
Now Playing: Bad for Business by Sabrina Carpenter
0:27 ───────── 3:08

"used to get to work on time,
but now you're taking up my nights,
never been so glad to be so tired."

A week passed, but I could've sworn it felt like a month. We spent the week taking separate cars to work and grabbing dinner together after clocking out. Most of the time, it was takeout, but on Friday, she took me to a seafood restaurant near Central Park. She promised I'd like it, and as per usual, she was right.

The lazy Sunday afternoon left us stuck in Irene's bed. The window displayed a magnificent view of the vast landscape and bright blue sky. Warm, July air slipped into the room. The TV played The Notebook, per Irene's request. She kept pausing the movie to talk about the camera angles, lighting, and script.

"I didn't take you as a media lover," I mused.

"This is important information, Andie. It'll save your life one day."

"Alright, so when ninjas attack my house, I can use my extensive knowledge of how a certain angle of light produces a reaction in a viewer to rescue my family?"

"Of course. You can cast said light at a 90º angle to blind them straight on. Their reaction would be delightful." She cheekily grinned.

I smacked her arm. "You're a dork."

"What? Did you think I was a cold-hearted prick that hated everyone I came across?"

"That was exactly my first impression of you."

She gaped and chucked a pillow my way. I laughed, failing to block it from hitting my face.

"I'll have you know," she said, "I thought you were a little bug that didn't know how to do her job. But..." she paused, and I waited with skeptical eyes, "you turned out to be so much worse."

I squealed, grabbing the pillow to thwack her. "How could you! Who would write all your ideas throughout the day if it weren't for me? Or listen to your 5-hour-long lunch rants? Lunch is only an hour!"

Her laughter filled the room, and I mentally replayed it again and again.

"Who'd try purple bubble tea with you?!" I continued smacking her with the pillow. She clutched her stomach, and her inhales between laughter sounded like a dying goat. I giggled. "Who'd walk around Central Park with you, hm?"

"Maybe the secretary. She's kind of cute," Irene managed to say.

"She has 3 kids!"

"I can give her a 4th." Irene wiggled her eyebrows, and I took the opportunity to hit her again.

Our banter was cut short by my phone sounding. I reached over to grab it from my bag before frowning at the text message.

"What's wrong?"

I typed back and chucked my phone back into my purse. "It was Alex." Irene lifted an eyebrow. "He wants to meet up to talk this weekend. Civilly."

"What did you respond with?"

"I said we can meet up in a public place. Y'know, for safety."

She nodded and declared, "I'm coming with you."

I chuckled. "No, you're not."

"Andie, I'm coming with you."

"He's not going to hurt me. We're going to—"