[2]

***
[Sunday July 10th, 1988]

It was yet another night in the club. I finished my strip tease on stage and was now seated on a barstool in front of James. We talked about life before we knew each other. I found out James used to be in a gang in New York called Lone Wolves. Once he became a father to a set of twins, he left the gang life behind him. He moved to Chicago and started a new chapter with his new found family. It didn't last long after finding out about his ex wife's infidelity. He kept the two children since his ex wife didn't want to be apart of their life anymore. After leaving, James never heard from her again.

"I'm sorry to hear about that." I apologized, seeing how hard his life has been since his wife left. "I've been fine ever since she left, no need to apologize." He says.

I looked away from James for a moment and noticed an unfamiliar face enter the club. He wore a sharp white suit with a fedora to match. Penny loafers on his feet and curls hung around his shoulders. I could hardly see his face but I knew he had to be someone new around here because of his style. It wasn't like no other. I watched him walk around the room then found a place on the wall, leaning against it and scanning the room.

"You know him?" I heard. I turned to face James.

"No." I shook my head. My gaze went back on the mysterious man but I learned he no longer resided against the wall. He wasn't anywhere in sight. I shrugged it off until I heard a soft voice ordering a drink. The man I saw earlier was standing next to me. His fedora still blocked his eyes away from me but I could see his nose and lips. Before I could do anymore admiring, I felt an arm grab me.

"I think it's time for us to leave." I then realize that it was Denise who grabs me. I heard James protesting but Denise didn't let me go until we were outside the club. I was fine with leaving a little early, considering that I missed seeing Raven. I was beginning to worry about her reasoning for leaving early since we've never left early before. When we walked inside the apartment, I pulled Denise to the side to get answers out of her.

"Why are you acting like this?" I asked, concern filling me.

"That man you were with is very dangerous." She said then tried to walk away from me but I stopped her in her tracks by pulling her forearm.

"I wasn't with any man besides James. Who are you referring to?"

"The man in the white suit, he's dangerous. I don't want you associating with him." She explains. "I know all about him."

"What do you know about him? How is he dangerous?" I asked, sorry eating at my mind. If he was as dangerous as Denise made him out to be then this couldn't be good at all. He's seen my face. He could find me and kill me or something. Denise has never told me to stay away from anyone so I knew this had truth behind it.

"Don't worry your mind about it. Just trust me." She said and I rolled my eyes. She knows leaving important information out like this would only consume me and make me worry to know end.

"But Denise—." I started but she placed a finger over my lips.

"No more questions, goodnight." Was the last thing she said before she went to her room and slammed the door. I figured that this man was connected to her in someway.

I wanted to get ready for bed and hopefully put this small talk behind me but I couldn't. It was like I couldn't fall asleep for anything in the world. I wondered what this man has done to be dangerous as Denise calls him. How dangerous is this man?  Maybe Denise words had some truth behind it.