Chapter Three: Nyx

The next morning, I woke up sitting against the wall, next to where Tungl lay, regaining health and rest. I was ready and willing to stay there by her side for as long as it took her to heal.
Unfortunately, it was that morning that Nyx decided to come calling. As I sat and waited for Tungl to awaken, I heard a lovely voice at the cave opening.
"Now, where is my new ahoro?" She asked. I looked up and caught a green-haired Nwa pointing my way. "Thank you," the woman said. Her long legs carried her over to me quickly. I felt like I should stand for her, so I did.
     "Zelenia, right?" She said. Her eyes were silver as the moon. She extended her hand. "I'm Nyx." I grasped her hand and gave a firm handshake, wanting to make a good impression on the goddess. Then Nyx finally noticed Tungl's unconscious form. "What happened to her?" She asked with wide, worried eyes.
     "Hemera paid us a visit." I informed her grimly. As Nyx's eyes widened, I told her the rest.
     "She plans to make a continuous state of day on Earth. When Tungl tried to talk some sense into her, she struck her down with a ball of sunlight." Nyx gasped.
     "My poor child," She said. "Sunlight is the worst weapon against me and all my subjects. In your life as a human, you might have noticed  a certain aversion to sunshine. You prefer cloudy, rainy, and stormy days, do you not?"
     I nodded. "Yeah. Most of my friends thought I was odd for it, but I pretty much felt sick whenever it was sunny."
     "Now imagine that multiplied a thousand times over. All sorts of heat and light everywhere. It's truly awful." Nyx's eyes showed her worry loud and clear. I realized that Tungl was like a daughter to her, and Nyx was like a mother to Tungl.
"Would you like some time alone with her?" I asked her gently.
She startled. "No," she sighed. "I'm here to talk to you. Especially now that it seems you're going to have some trouble during your rule."
     "Alright," I said quietly. I turned to lead Nyx towards my bed in its little cavity in the wall.
     We sat on my bed like it was a couch, although the space was pretty limited. We were nearly touching, with less than a quarter inch between us, so rather than face each other to talk, we looked out at all the brave soldiers going about their business.
     "I understand you're new to this world," Nyx began, "so you must have some questions. There are things you need to know and things you need to learn." She paused, probably pondering what to tell me first. "What has Tungl already told you?" She asked.
     I told her what I knew, then took a chance and asked the question that had been on my mind: "How do I use magic?"
     Nyx glanced at me sidelong, considering. "Come, child, I will show you." She said, standing and gliding towards the opening. I followed, and we stopped in a wide open field very near where I now lived. It was the first time I'd left the cave since I first arrived.
     "Close your eyes."
     The words startled me, and I realized I had zoned out, staring blankly at the grass. Nevertheless, I obeyed Nyx's command and let darkness fall over my vision.
     "Think of nothing, feel nothing, hear nothing but the sound of my voice." Nyx gave her second order, and once again, I obeyed.
     "Let your mind be numb, and let your core do the thinking."
     I felt a sort of buzzing in my stomach that was akin both to butterflies and nausea.
     The buzzing intensified. Danger, it seemed to say, danger's coming fast. Without any thought; almost like a reflex; my arm flew out, palm spread like I was asking for a high five. I felt energy burning around me.
     I opened my eyes.
     A bubble of sizzling dark blue and gold lightning stormed around me. Nyx's arm was reeled back in a fist, as though she had been about to punch me. Rocks were caked around her hand. That punch would've been capable of breaking my jaw bone. I stared, my eyes wide and unbelieving.
     Nyx smiled. "Now your power is unlocked. You have the ability to use it on instinct. When she is able, Tungl will teach you how to use it consciously." She casually strode to the end of the clearing, then turned her head back to face me. "Come back when you're ready."
    I fell back to sit on the soft grass. Was Nyx really going to punch me? I hoped not. It didn't seem like something the person Tungl had described to me would do. I shook my head to clear it. It must have just been to unleash my powers.
I got up and walked back to the cave. After stepping onto the threshold, I stopped short. It was a commotion inside. All the people were swarmed around where I knew Tungl lay. Murmurs rippled through the crowd. I rushed into their midst, and once again, they separated for me. This time, though, they seemed to hesitate, unwilling to give up their view of Tungl to let me through.
Once I reached her side, I fell to my knees, my eyes growing wide. She looked at me and smiled weakly.
"Hey, Zelenia." She said. "They told me you were gone."
"Tungl, you're awake!" I exclaimed, a huge smile taking over my face. I wanted to crush her into a hug, but I knew she was still recovering.
     "I'm glad you're here." She said. She glanced at all the Nwas that had crowded around her, and, knowing what she wanted, ambled off, grumbling amongst themselves.
     "I want you to know that I will help you through all of this Hemera trouble." She looked at me, eyes softening. "I know it's probably incredibly overwhelming for you. After all, this is completely new to you. But you've got a huge family here who would gladly die to help you."
     "I don't want anyone to die for me." I said quietly.
     "I know." She replied. "You just need to know you have our support." I nodded.
     Tungl pulled me down, and I laid beside her. We slept there, just like that: her on the comfiest bed we could find, and I on the rough, dirty ground. It was the best night's sleep I ever had.