Chapter 7: She's With Me

Jade's POV

"He shoots...and he scores!" Kai laughs as he swishes the basketball through the hoop. He dribbles around the empty outdoor basketball court before landing another shot.

I take a break from watching him play and lean back on the bench to observe the starry night looming above us. You don't see stars like this in a big city like Long Beach, California. Without a cloud in sight, it's as if the sky was a black canvas and the artist had splattered sparkling white paint in every direction. I let the cool night breeze race through my hair and stream gently across my skin. Almost every part of me wants to leave my life behind and fall into the mesmerizing night sky.

Suddenly, Kai plops down next to me. "What's on your mind?"

Every single day that's gone by since we lost dad has been excruciatingly slow. I feel trapped as I witness everyone around me be so carefree and happy. I don't even recognize myself anymore. I used to be so bright, but then I lost that feeling and I don't remember when I last had it. To be honest, I don't even fully understand what I've lost. Maybe it's my happiness, my innocence, or maybe I've lost myself.

A chuckle escapes my lips. "A lot."

"Guess things have been crazy this past year haven't they?" Kai's eyes shift to the floor as he chuckles too. "Even crazier than before."

We share a moment of silence as a soft gust of wind blows through the court.

Closing my eyes, I inhale a deep breath of the salty ocean air. "Do you miss our old life at all?"

His eyes squeeze shut as he quietly nods. "All the time. But with the serious things Dad was involved in, I don't think it could've ended any other way. For him or for us."

I hate that Kai's right, but it still kinda stings hearing him say it out loud.

Before I get a chance to respond, we both look up in surprise when the fence that leads into the court slams open. Two muscular figures start walking towards us in the dim lighting but I can't quite make out their faces. They're both outstandingly tall, but one stands out more to me. My eyes focus on his toned legs before moving up to the white dress shirt that highlights his broad shoulders. He's tall, dark, handsome and he's...

"Noah!" Kai jumps up in surprise.

As the two figures step into the light, Casino Boy's dark green eyes and cool brown hair come into view. A look of surprise falls onto his face as his eyes meet with mine.

How the hell do I keep running into this guy? The look on his face tells me he's thinking the same thing.

A part of me is embarrassed that he's seeing me in this dress. He's only seen the tough side of me. The normal side. But in this, I look vulnerable. I feel vulnerable. That's one of the worst things a girl can be.

Noah tears his gaze away from me and focuses on Kai. "Hey! Didn't expect to see you up here."

Noah and the stranger he's standing with greet Kai while I sit quietly on the bench.

God, I hate Noah. Standing there all perfect with his perfect life, perfect body, and perfect smile, pretending that he never laid eyes on me before.

My eyes focus on the stranger standing next to him. He looks strikingly similar to Noah, but a bit older with light brown eyes.

All of a sudden, the stranger's warm brown eyes land on me. The corners of his mouth turn up into a subtle smile.

I watch him whisper something to Noah, something that causes Noah to turn and look at me. I cross my arms uncomfortably as Noah whispers back to the guy with the brown eyes. Great. They're definitely talking about me. Could they be any more obvious?