Chapter Six

Disclaimer: this chapter includes suicidal thoughts and actions

When Draco came to, he was lying in a small comfortable bed wrapped head to toe in heavy blankets.

"It's about time you woke up."

Draco jumped at the sudden sound, and whipped his head towards it.

Sitting in a chair beside his bed was a boy he had not seen in almost two years.

Weasley was slouched over with his hands folded in his lap, a scowl on his angry freckled face.

"How-"

"What are you doing here Malfoy?"

"What?" Draco asked, confused.

"No one has seen you since seventh year, and now all of a sudden you show up here out of nowhere. Why?"

"I-I don't know."

"I swear!" he added when Weasley's frown deepened, "they told me to come here!"

Weasley leaned forward, "Who did?"

"The voices."

He sat back in his chair.

That explains it, he thought, he's clearly insane.

He took in the youngest Malfoy's appearance. The way his hands shook as he brushed them through his disheveled hair, and the way his grey eyes nervously moved from side to side, as if waiting for an attack.

It seemed the past few months had taken a toll on the once privileged boy.

Weasley couldn't help but take pity upon him.

"Hey," Draco's head turned towards him once again, "I'm going to go get you something to eat. I'll be right back."

He stood up and walked to the door, looking back at Draco for only a second before opening the door and leaving.

He thinks you're crazy

They were back.

They won't trust you

Why wouldn't they leave him alone?

And why would they? You can never trust

a    t r a i t o r

But they were right. They were always right.

Shadows formed into monsters. They stared at him with their three pairs of glowing red eyes, smiling widely and showing off rows and rows of sharp teeth.

Why are you still here?

You're better off dead

End your life

No, he didn't want that. He still had friends and family that love him.

They don't care

T-they love him.

They want you dead

They...they…

End it

They don't care. No one does. He'd be better off dead.

His hand slowly moved on its own accord, his fingers grasping around a pair of scissors placed on the table next to him.

End it

Why did he try to survive for so long. The world's going to end anyways. Why wait?

He moved the scissors towards his wrist, resting its sharp blade across his pale skin.

End it

He watched as the cold metal sunk into his skin. Stared blankly as the thick red blood spilled over his flesh and onto the bed.

Line after line. The shadows held his hand tightly, as he stared blankly ahead.

End it

He then switched hands and began to do the other side.

He deserved this. Everything, it was his fault. He deserved it.

END IT ALL

Ron didn't know what to think. He sure and as hell didn't know what to do.

He hadn't seen Malfoy in almost two years. How were you supposed to treat the guy who used to bully you and your friends all throughout school?

But it was clear to him that this wasn't the same Malfoy he had grown up with.

But it was to be expected. The virus changed everyone.

Especially him.

Ron headed downstairs to the kitchen, his footsteps echoing around the empty hall. He pushed the door open, and almost crashed into Luna.

"Oh hullo Ron," she smiled, her grey eyes sparkling behind her strange colorful frames.

"Hullo Luna," he replied, walking past her to grab a bowl from the cupboard.

"You know, all my shoes have mysteriously disappeared last night."

"Again?"

"Yes, I suspect the Nargles are behind it this time. Pesky little things. Simply glueing them to the floor should do the trick."

"Glue?"

"Mhmm, helps stick things into place, very useful."

"Hmm."

Ron grabbed a can of potato soup from the shelf and startled heating it up in a small pot."

"Who's that for?" Luna asked.

"Draco Malfoy, if you'd believe it."

"Ah yes, I heard that he returned," she replied, "I do hope he feels better."

"What do you mean?"

"Well there's suddenly more Malums than usual, it seems he brought an awful lot with him."

Ron stopped what he was doing, "Malums? What are those?"

"Oh nasty, evil spirits that put terrible thoughts into your head. They love to feed on people's guilt."

"Are they dangerous?" Ron asked hesitantly.

Luna's eyes went blank, staring straight ahead.

"Very."

Ron ran towards Malfoy's room, taking the stairs two at a time. He burst through the door, and was horrified at the sight before him.

There on the bed was Draco Malfoy, covered in blood. Both his wrists were covered in small cuts almost all the way to his elbows, a pair of scissors laying limp in his right hand.

"Help! Someone, please help!" Ron yelled as he rushed to Malfoy's side. He reached a shaky hand towards him and placed two fingers on his neck. He almost sobbed in relief when he felt the faint thumps of his heartbeat.

Suddenly the room was filled with people, all horribly mesmerized at the sight.

"Move! Everyone out!"

Madam Pomfrey, the school nurse, stepped forward, a large medical kit in her arms.

"I said everyone out!" she shouted, scaring them out of the room.

"That includes you Mr. Weasley."

"But-"

"I'm going to do the best that I can but only if you allow me to do so. I will inform you as soon as I am done."

"Yes Madam Pomfrey," he said reluctantly, stepping towards the door.

He gave one last concerned look at the pale figure on the bed, before stepping out and shutting the door behind him.