Letters

Your POV

Harry and I woke up to banging on the stairs above us. Dust fell on top of us as our cousin shouted at us to get up. We got up, and started making breakfast as usual.

It was our cousin's birthday. Normally, on Dudley's birthday, we would be sent to Mrs. Figg's house while Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia, and Dudley went out.

Apparently, today we couldn't because of some reason we weren't aware of. Our Aunt and Uncle didn't care about us enough to tell us.

Harry and I exchanged looks of both excitement and relief. Mrs. Figg was nice, but she was an old lady and not very fun. She always showed us pictures of all her cats, which isn't exactly something an eleven-year-old wants to do.

Dudley was complaining about his presents while Harry and I were ordered around by Uncle Vernon. "Bring my coffee boy!" We just rolled our eyes and obeyed whatever he said.

We were about to climb into the car, when Uncle Vernon shut the door. "I'm telling you two. Any funny business, any at all, no meals for a week." We just nodded, and climbed into the car.

At the zoo, we were by the snake's cage, and it wasn't moving so Uncle Vernon and Dudley banged on the glass. "Move!" They yelled at it. "He's asleep!" I told him. "He's boring," Dudley said, walking away.

"Sorry about him," Harry said to the snake. "He doesn't understand what it's like, lying there day after day, people putting their ugly faces against the glass," I said. The snake picked its head up, and shook its head. "Can you hear us?" Harry asked. It nodded.

"It's just....we've never talked to snakes before." Harry said. "Do you....talk to people often?" I asked it. It shook its head again. "You're from Burma aren't you? Was it nice there? Do you miss you're family?" Harry asked.

The snake pushed its head towards a sign. Harry and I read that it was breed it captivity. "That's us as well. We never knew our parents either." I told it sadly. Dudley ran back to the cage and knocked us down, out of the way. I sat on my arm as Harry did the same. "You ok?" He asked.

I nodded, and turned to Dudley. He had his hands pressed up against the glass, and leaned on it, when suddenly, it disappeared. He fell into the cage, and Harry and I laughed at the sight.

The snake slowly dropped out of the cage and slid by us. "Thanksssss" it told us. "Anytime," Harry and I said in unison. Uncle Vernon saw us giggling at Dudley, and we knew what that meant...and it was nothing good.

We walked into the house, Harry being held by his ear and me by my hair, Uncle Vernon questioning us about what happened. "We swear we don't know!" I told him through gritted teeth.

"One second it was there, then it was gone it was like magic!" Harry told him. He threw us into the cupboard under the stairs. "There's no such thing as magic!" He yelled at us. I rubbed the spot where he pulled my hair. I just wanted to get out of there.

They were all fawning over Dudley in his new uniform, when Harry asked about us. They didn't like questions, but she answered him. She told us that we were going to a public school or something.

Uncle Vernon told us to go get the mail, so we did. In the mail pile, there were two letters for Harry and I. "Harry look," I said. We walked back into the kitchen staring at our letters, and handed the rest of them to Uncle Vernon.

We started to open them when Dudley grabbed them out of our hands. "Look! Harry and Y/n have letters!" Dudley announced. "Give them back they're ours!" I shouted at him. "Yours? Who'd be writing to you?" Uncle Vernon questioned. When he looked at the envelope, however, it seemed a lightbulb went off.

The next few days consisted of him throwing away any of our letters, and trying to stop them from coming at all. By the day, despite his best attempts to stop them, there were more letters and more owls that stayed perched around the house.

On Sunday, we were all in the living room, Harry and I were passing around cookies like a butler and maid, when Uncle Vernon said, "Sunday. Best day of the week, in my opinion. You know why Dudley?" He shook his head.

"There's no post on Sundays." I answered sadly. "Right you are Y/n," he said taking a cookie. "No post on Sundays. Ha!" Harry and I looked out the window to see dozens of owls on Privet Drive.

Then, all of a sudden, there was a noise coming from the fire place. Letters starting shooting out, and flying all around the room. Harry and I attempted to grab one each, and were eventually successful.

We tried to run back to our cupboard, but Uncle Vernon caught us and tackled us. "We're going were no one can find us!" We heard him scream.

Proverbs 18:10