Chapter 1

Morgan POV's

January 25, 2010.

My 16th birthday and I was being beaten up in an alley close to home.

"By whom?" you may ask. Well, it was no one other than Markus O'Neal and Niall Smith, my all-time favorite high school bullies.

I had refused to let them cheat off me on our Physics test yesterday. That left Markus with 60 percent on the test (surprisingly, more than what he usually got when he was not cheating) and left Niall with a 40. Definitely not passing grades. Today earlier, they had announced that I had gotten the golden price of a beating. I tried to escape them but turns out that outrunning the best player of the track team and the striker of the soccer team is harder when you're a wimp like me who can't even carry his own weight.

As Markus and Niall kicked me, I curled into a ball, trying to avoid getting hit in the ribs and head. The pain was immense but I had gotten used to this kind of treatment over time. After they got tired of kicking me, they patted me up and down until they found my wallet. They took the cash and threw the wallet at me. I tried to stay as still as possible.

If I tried to fight my way out of this one, I would probably end up in worse shape.

I waited for them to leave before standing. I tried channeling happy thoughts.

Maybe mom had bought a cake and baked some of her amazing chocolate chip cookies.

Maybe my sister wouldn't be so annoying today.

Maybe dad would skateboard with me later.

Maybe the day wouldn't be a total waste.

I wobbled as I walk, pressing my side with my hand, trying to make the pain decrease. Thankfully, they didn't kick me hard enough to draw blood.

I got to my apartment building, I was about to open the door when the smell of cigarettes and beer hit me like a ton of bricks. Mom and dad had had a fight again. I closed my eyes for a second and sighed before opening the door.

Beer bottles were everywhere, and vase had been thrown to the wall and the pieces were scattered everywhere. Cigarette butts were all over the couch and dad was passed out on the said couch.

So much for having a good birthday.

I put my key and bag on the kitchen counter and when to check on my sister Clarisse. She might annoy me to pieces but I still care about her. If dad had had one of his episodes, I wouldn't want her to be anywhere near him.

I went by her room, the door was open and she was talking on her phone while painting her nails on her bed. She must have felt my presence because she shifted her weight, looked at me.

"Well, look who's here! The loser finally arrived home." She said, amused. "What took you so long? It's not like you actually have friends or anyone to talk to."

"Shut up, Clarisse. I don't need your blabbering mouth ruining my already gruesome day." With that, I locked myself in my room.

My injuries still ached but at this point, I had gotten over it. I threw myself into my bed and looked through the fire escape window. Everyone seemed to be enjoying the day here at Harlem. I just wish I could say the same about me.

All of a sudden an upside-down red-haired the girl popped from the side of the fire escape. My best friend Olivia was making me signs so I would open the window. I smirked and opened the window and she flipped inside.

"Dude, you do know there are other ways of entering the house, right?"

"Yeah, but what would the fun in that be?" I rolled my eyes and laughed.

Via always found ways of making me feel better even without directly knowing it.

She looked me up and down and frowned.

"What happened to you?" She tried to reach for my face but I gently pushed her hand away.

"Oh, it's nothing. Just a birthday gift from Niall and Markus."

"Yeah, sure. Best birthday present ever." Sarcasm dripped from her voice. "You need to stop letting them do this to you, Morgan."

"If I tried to do that I'd probably wind up dead."

She rolled her eyes, I could tell there was something more she wanted to say but refrained herself. She was fiddling with her ring, just like she always did when she had something bothering her in her mind.

Next, to her there was a little box I hadn't noticed was there before.

"What's that?"

"Hm? Oh, I got you a birthday cupcake!" She handed the box to me and I opened it.

The sweet smell wafted through the air.

"Red velvet?"

"Yup. Straight from Levain Bakery."

"You know me so well. Thank you, Via." I put it on my nightstand and turned my attention back at Via.

She was looking out the window but even from this angle, I could see a really light blush on her cheeks. She breathed in once and looked at me.

"Wanna get out of here?"

"Thought you'd never ask." I took my spare keys and Via and I exited the room the same way she came in.

We went down the fire escape and was about to grab our bikes when the ground started shaking violently.

"What's happening?" Via cried out as I reach out and grabbed her just when she was about to fall.

Then the loudest "boom!" I've ever heard resonated across the city. I don't know what happened, but I must have passed out because everything went white.

...

I woke up feeling somewhat nauseous.

I-I didn't remember anything.

Not who I was or how I had gotten there.

Nothing.

I was in what seemed to be a highway. I looked around and noticed that I was in the middle of the street.

There was a man parked on one side of the road looking down the hood of his steaming car.

"Sir? Can you tell me where we are please?" I walked towards the car, the man was right there but he didn't answer.

"Sir?" I touched his shoulder and he immediately tensed, his eyes rolling inside his head.

He fell on his knees and onto the floor. Horrified, I leaned close to him and tried to find his pulse. Nothing.

I started shaking. Had I just killed this man? The world started spinning around me as everything started turning to shades of black. I stared at my hands in terror.

What had I done?

Hello there, my beautiful readers!!!

I hope you liked the first chapter of this book. I know this was supposed to be published at the beginning of summer but my BFF and I had some... Difficultities along the way. But that doesn't matter anymore, the chapter is here and I'll be posting the second chapter sometime this afternoon.

Ps. The picture at the beginning is Morgan.

Sypnases out.