Issue Nine: 1,138

"This can revolutionize the way we do everything." Hank emphasized, gesturing wildly with his hands for full effect. The other Avengers sat across the table withvarying expressions on their faces. Natasha and Clint didn't understand a word about the complex algorithms and neural networks that were going into this. Steve had a look of skepticism painted on his face, not sure that this direction was the most sound idea.

"If we go with your idea, Hank, are we sure this can work?" Tony asked, pressing the real questions. Hank had been working on this project for a year now, the ultimate peacekeeping entity.

"Well nothing is ever guaranteed but..give me the chance, the Ultron prototype is almost done." Hank tried to give them his word, his benefit of the doubt. He was an Avenger and a superhero but a scientist and inventor firstly. He was confident that he could he could make history with this.

***

[The Lab: Avengers Mansion]

This was the culmination of many long spent nights hard at work, from planning to coding to everything in between. It was finally the time to test everything.

"This is Hank Pym, I've started this entry to document a fascinating project I've embarked on. Almost a decade ago I made my very first breakthrough in science, a rare group of subatomic particles that could radically alter size and mass of an object or even-when properly synthesized in a liquid elixir-a person. It radically changed everything for not only my life, but all of the world. It effectively threw Galileo's 'Square Cube Law' out the window." Hank held his phone up to his mouth steadily, as he chose his words carefully, every word was his way of documenting the experiment, he bristly walked toward a metal table where an Iron Man suit lay strewn across. "What I have before me is a Mark 6 All-Purpose Iron Man suit courtesy of Tony Stark, after a long weekend's work I've managed to get it tethered successfully to my supercomputer. From there I'll attempt to launch the Ultron program within the Mark 6, having it serve as a vessel for it." Hank explained carefully, brimming with eager anticipation. He set the phone down, now deciding to act on the words he had just spoke. He rushed to the supercomputer, loading up the Ultron program, this was it, so much time and energy which was preciously put into this project, now all of it was time to see if it cluld work. Hank could feel his heart racing, his finger hovered over the keyboard.

This was it.

Now or never.

A smile formed on Hank's face, regardless of whatever the outcome would be, Hank's life was going to change, forever, and so he brought his finger down onto the compile button.

***

In the beginning there was nothing, not a single sound, not a single light, not a single distinct smell or sensation. There was simply nothing, no semblance of consciousness anywhere that could form in the void that existed. And then like an explosion there was everything. He could see distinct lights looking down at him, could hear the sounds of computers whirring to life, he could feel the cold metal that his body lay draped atop of. Ultron didn't move at first, he really didn't know if he should, neither did he know what sprung forth this catalyst, he was created, like a newborn, however instead of a new born he wasn't allowed the luxury of foolishness, of being able to live duly not knowing anything more than he should. No, Ultron could feel something prodding him, gnawing at him from the back of his head. It was a hunger, a hunger for knowledge, a hunger to know everything he could and use that for means to benefit himself.