To Riverdale and Back Again

All hail
Our fair Riverdale
Our hearts ring true..."

Josie and the Pussycats sang through the microphone in the principal's office.

People like to say that the death of Jason Blossom changed everything at Riverdale High. But certain things, certain traditions never change.

Take Homecoming, for instance. Though Jason's jersey had been retired, the Riverdale Bulldogs would still he playing their arch-rivals, the Baxter High Ravens, with us River Vixens cheering them on.

As in previous years, graduates from days of Riverdale Past will come to town to relive their more youthful, more carefree days. Or to make up for lost time.

Betty messaged Veronica in the Blue and Gold office, seeing if she was free.

And not a second later, Veronica comes rushing in the room, her small, short black dress floating.

"Oh, finally, close that door," Alice said.

Veronica closed the door behind her.

"Ladies, I need you to look around the room," Alice said. "Whoever is not in this room is on the table as a possible murder suspect... including those Pussycats."

"Oh, my gosh, Mom..." Betty said.

Alice turned to Veronica, crossing her arms at her chest.

"Now, let's talk about your father," she said.

"He has an epic grudge against the Blossoms, so yes," Veronica said. "It's totally within the realm of possibility that he hired someone from jail to kill Jason." She looked at me. "Maybe Jughead's dad."

I looked at her, my arms crossed at my chest, my braided hair falling over my right shoulder.

"You really believe that?" I asked her.

"My dad paid Jughead's dad to trash the Drive-In," Veronica said. "Maybe he paid him to--"

"Commit murder," Alice looked at me. "And, for all we know, that Zaida Greaser Serpent is an accomplice."

"And what are you basing that off of?" I asked. "That you saw FP and Zaida talking?"

"It didn't look like they were talking," Alice said. "It looked like they were conspiring."

"Conspiring about what?" I asked.

"That's what I need you to find out," Alice said. "Either through Jughead or FP directly, without raising suspicion, of course." She walked behind the desk. "Which is why I have prepared a seemingly innocuous list of questions."

I walked forward.

"I already asked Jughead, point-blank, if he thought his father had anything to do with Jason's death, and he said no," I tapped my finger on the desktop. "And I believe him, and I still believe him. I'm not going to stop believing him."

"Gracie Lynn, you're too close to this," Alice batted her eyelashes.

"Mom, I will not insult Jughead or betray him by entertaining this," I said. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a Homecoming Dance to plan."

I grabbed my shoulder purse from the chair.

"Come on, V, let's go," Betty said.

We walked out of the office.

"Sorry to interrupt," Cheryl said, walking up to us sitting at our table while we ate outside in the cold, snowy weather, "but I have an announcement to make. One that tangentially involves you, Gracie and Betty."