Around Here

I sat in my car for at least 3 minutes, bracing myself. I texted Brayden.

I'm here

Thats what I texted him. I waited another minute, expecting him to reply, which he didn't. I slowly got out and approached the door. I took one last deep breath and knocked on the door.

The sound of loud footsteps come closer and closer. Small, choppy footsteps, I could hear, we crashing down the steps. The door swung open.

"Kaylee!" My dad was standing there with his arms open for a hug.

I wasn't in a hugging mood, more of a pissy mood (but what's new) but I took it anyway.

His girlfriend came walking down the hallway, humbly.

"Kaylee, this is Marissa," he introduced me.

Marissa. That was her name.

"Oh Kaylee, so glad I finally get to meet you!" She pulled me into an unexpected hug.

She was a pretty woman. Tall, black hair, olive skin, thin, a warm smile. She smelt like vanilla.

I wasn't too pleased about the hug, I haven't even said a word to her yet. Or at all.

I saw two teenage boys and a girl, maybe about 5 or 6 standing at the foot of the staircase.

"This is Jackson and Cole, Marissa's sons. And this little doll is Gabby."

I thought Marissa only had two sons, and that they were under 12. Jackson looked about 13 and Cole was maybe 16. I had no idea she even had a daughter. All her children were dirty blonde, too. Except Jackson, his hair was a brighter yellow, with an orange tint to it. It was a short cut on the sides but longer on top, slicked to the side. But Cole on the other hand, had straight hair. He had hockey hair. It was long and it flowed back perfectly.

I nodded my head. I still didn't say anything.

"Marissa, why don't we go get her bags from her car. Uh, boys, why don't you take Kay up to her room." My dad instructed.

"Alright Anthony," Cole said, loosely.

Jackson and Cole both started heading up the stairs.

"Wait for me!" Gabby tried to catch up with her older brothers.

I slowly trotted up the steps. I passed a door that had a Bruins poster attached to it. Awkward.

I followed Gabby into the room at the end of the long hallway. They owned a big house. In the middle of a rich neighborhood.

My room was painted a light peach color but was lined with white decoration lights around the perimeter of the ceiling. It had a big window in it. A view of a beautiful park not very far off.

"We tried to add a little something for you. It's hard to find this stuff around here," Cole smiled. He had a nice smile.

I looked down at the queen sized bed that was covered by a Flyers throw blanket. On the wall just above my bed was a Flyers banner.

"Boys! Can you come down here, please?" I heard Marissa call.

"Be right there!" Jackson hollered. They scrambled out of the room, leaving me and Gabby alone.

I sat down on my new bed, in my new home, in a new city, in a new state, with a new family.

Gabby hopped up next to me.

"I like your sweatshirt," she said sweetly.

I looked down, I was wearing my Boston University hockey sweatshirt.

"Thanks, you play?" Were my first words in this house.

"No not yet, my mommy says I'm too little," she sighed.

"Well do you know how to skate?" I asked.

"No," she looked at her bare feet out in front of her.

"I could teach you if you want me too," I offered.

"Would you really?" Her blue eyes brightened.

I nodded.

"Thank you so much!" She wrapped her short arms around me tightly.

Great, they like to hug.