4|Mother??

Owls are hooting, hares are stomping on twigs, but despite the night's beauty, I have other things on my mind. My dad's asleep and I need to get that locket. If it means that much to him, then he would've put it in his safe, which is inconvenient when I don't know the code, but I have a few hours to crack it open before he tosses it away.

I head across the corridor and into my dad's room, hoping that the creaking floorboards won't awaken him. I inch the door open slowly and I peak round the corner. Thankfully, he's completely out. Bringing myself back into the situation at hand, I walk in and stand in the centre of the room. I need to get the locket and then get out of here as fast as possible.

The safe is behind a painting, one of a sunset. I carefully make my way closer to the art piece, which hangs right above his head and gently remove it from the wall. Now I just need to find the code, but where would he put it?

I look in my mum's old mirror stand, the wardrobe, in the drawers under the bed, the window and even in the chandelier, but it's nowhere.

I look more, but the code is nowhere to be seen, that is until I glanced over to check on my dad and see a chain around his neck.

That must be it. It was right in front of me the whole time and I couldn't see it. I move in closer to get a better look and it turns out to be just like I thought. it's the locket! I start to ponder to myself on how I will remove it from his neck and make it back to my room without waking him.

To prevent wasting time,
I start to lean in very carefully, reaching out towards the locket cautiously, knowing that even one slight mistake could wake my dad up and ruin the whole plan. I carefully grasp the chain into my left hand and with the right, pinch and unclip the back.

I've got the locket, I've actually done it. I go to turn around and duck out the door, when I suddenly hear a lullaby play in my ears. What is that? it sounds like a music box, but there's not one in sight.

Suddenly a blinding purple light bursts out of the locket, spiralling above me. Then it turns into tiny little pieces, sprinkling all its remains around me.
Mum? My mother stands before me, looking so alive with a huge smile plastered on her face. Before I know it, she just vanishes.

Mum, what where you hiding?