The List

THE LIST

Sunlight was pouring in through the open window into a messy bedroom. A girl in her mid-twenties furiously rummages around for her blue cardigan she swore she last saw at the back of the ivory closet. Her grey cat Arla, meows in protest at the clothes being flung all over the room. The green-eyed brunette ransacks the closet with such force that a box she had long forgotten about topples from the top shelf of the closet. Suddenly exhausted, she plonks down on the carpeted floor and pulls the box towards her. She opens the box and is greeted with a musty smell that bring with it a rush of memories. An old journal, an old picture which shows a five year old Ellie dressed as a princess for Halloween, a sparkly anklet of blue and green twisted together to form the lucky charm she once believed in so much, an old videotape of her first ever performance in the winter musical, 'The Swan Lake', all these memories felt just like yesterday. Blink and they were gone. A pile of letters lie at the bottom but it is the single sheet of blue paper that catches her attention. She opens it and smiles at the memory of the day she composed the list. Before she reaches the end, her phone buzzes in the pocket of her night gown and she takes it out to answer Dr.Thomson's call. After confirming her appointment for 9 o' clock, she gets up to get ready.

The waiting area at Dr. Thomson's is painted a bright yellow but somehow even that doesn't help shake off the feeling of fright taking over her. So maybe her sugar levels would be a little higher than usual but that had happened before so then where was this strange sensation of panic coming from?

She waits for the news to be broken to her. That the test results have arrived and she has to go on medication again till everything returns to normal levels but what she hears from Dr. Thomson is worse, much worse. She can't believe her ears.

Her world is crumbling around her, shattering into tiny pieces , pieces she can't put back together. How could this be happening? She feels like she has fallen down a hole. All that surrounds her is the debris of dreams and hopes that will never come true. There had to be a way. A pill, a herb, new technology or something. Tears trickle down her face and pool into her lap drowning her in misery as she realizes there is no way she can win this battle.

There was a reason her blue cardigan refused to come out of its hiding place. There was a reason that old box toppled down. There was a reason she found her bucket list on that blue sheet of paper.

-X-