Part 4- English Class Annoyances

I then turned around and walked to my seat. I plopped down in the uncomfortable chair and pulled out my phone. I wasn’t doing anything on it, just kinda staring at the screen. Eventually I saw someone walk beside my desk and sit down to the left of me. Toby. I watched him from the corner of my eye and he too pulled out his phone.

         RING. I heard the bell go and prepared for the strange and boring morning announcements. When they were over, the teacher, Mr. Thompson, stood up and walked to the front of the class. He was a larger man and he was quite tall. He had grey hair and a grey beard and wore glasses.

         “By now you must all know that there was a seating change due to some interruption from certain teenage boys. He then looked at Toby and his friend, Lane, who were both on their phones. Lane was at the very front of the class, as far from Toby as possible. “LANE!” Mr. Thomson said quite loudly and his head immediately popped up. “Disadvantage of being at the front of the class, I can see your phone. Put it away.”

         He didn’t say anything; he just put it in his pocket.

         Lane Ronofsky was the kind of guy to keep to himself…unless he was with his friends, then he was a full-blown party animal no matter where or when. He was by far the nicest to me, probably cuz I’d only talked to him like 2 times. He had dark brown hair and that normal, boyish haircut with big, brown eyes to match. He always wore t-shirts and blue jeans with Converse shoes, never anything else- no jackets, no accessories, never a hat, or sunglasses. And as for classes with him, I only had English.

         “And as for Toby, I better not regret letting you stay at the back of the room.” Mr. Thompson said.

         “Who knows?” said Toby, shrugging.

         It was Monday, which meant the first 15 minutes of the class were for reading and the rest was for some group project.

         I was on my phone, scrolling through Twitter instead of reading when I felt something tiny hit me. Then another, and another. The next one landed on my desk and I saw it was a piece of eraser. ‘Dammit, it’s probably in my hair.’ He threw 2 more pieces and I decided I’d had enough. I turned my head to glare at him and he quickly looked away, pretending he did nothing.

         “What the hell do you want?” I spat out quietly but agitated.

         He shrugged, “Nothing.”

         “Then leave me alone.”

         “Then leave me alone.” He mocked in a high-pitched voice.

         “Toby.” Said Mr. Thompson, “ Would you stop bothering her so she can not read on her own?”

         I tried to hold back my laughter at Mr. Thompson’s comment and I hardly succeeded. After that, Toby stopped annoying me for the remaining 10 minutes of ‘silent reading time’.

         “Ok everyone, put your books away. We’re going to start the group work. Everyone was to read the book ‘Touching Spirit Bear’ within the last two weeks. You and your partner will have to write a summary of the book. You will be paired up with the person sitting next to you.” 

         ‘Crap.’ Toby was the only one sitting next to me and there was an even number of rows…’Crap.'

-----------------------

How do you think Rowan being partnered up with Toby will work out?

Plz vote and comment, it means a lot! :))