Entry 9

The Cycle of Friendship

      "Being alone is bad, having a friend is good." This quote is from the movie, Bride of Frankenstein. As the quote suggests, we truly can't live without having a friend, because a friend is a source, someone whom we can depend on. They add spice to our lives and as life goes on, we might experience different outcomes from different situations. To be exact, they might leave us unexpectedly, leaving us all alone. Yes, friendship has an outcome, and ending as strangers is one.

      Have you ever been in a scenario like somebody asked you if you knew that particular person and a million memories flashed through your mind? All you did was smile and answer them, "Yeah, I used to." Friendship is a cycle. Even though you thought you'd never lose them, but people come and go, sadly. Let me share a kind of friendship that affects me most until now.

      We started as strangers. A phase where we get to know each other; A relationship that is nothing, but awkwardness. Being strangers from each other also means exchanging occasional "Hi's" and "How are you's". In any relationship, I believe anyone had been in this stage. We just talk often when the situation needed for us to talk. A little smile, a little laugh.

      Soon, we branched out from the awkward conversations to deeper talks, and to go out places with each other. We were talking non-stop, be it about nonsense topics, corny jokes, and even the weird ones. Then, we became best friends. I can say that our friendship is such a rare and unique kind that it makes horses look like unicorns. I feel so lucky to have a friend like her. She was opening up to me, she was listening to all of my drama sometimes, and she's being there for every decision-making moments that I have. Sometimes, we look back at the awkwardness of us transitioning from strangers to best friends and all we can do is laugh. We used to ask questions like, "Remember when I made you do this and you were so uncomfortable and shy?" We always love to reminisce on these memories because it's such a big part of our lives. She shaped me into who I am today. I wouldn't have tried dancing for the nutrition month celebration without her encouraging me, I wouldn't have tried singing at the same time, and I wouldn't have branched out if it wasn't for those uncomfortable first few days of knowing her. Seriously, if anyone would tell us that we could back in time and change our past, I would say 'no' because there's no one that could offer us to make us change meeting each other.

      But all things have an end. As they say, "WALANG FOREVER". I can relate our friendship to this. It's not that I'm being bitter but it hurts- a lot. Hurt of the idea of us coming back from where we began. Strangers. Those happy moments changed, and the new normal seeps in. It all started when we had different sections. At first, we always talk. Excitedly telling about the happenings throughout the day. Not until she diverted, maybe, she already found a new circle of friends. At first, it's like a cold shower. The water shocks your system, and you weren't expecting the coldness or the ice. I never wanted this for us. The thing is, you think you know a person and you think there isn't anything in this world that they could do to break your heart until they do.

      I can't pinpoint exactly where it started, or rather where it ended. I didn't realize either that we're making memories as we enjoy and have fun at that time. All I can say right now is that you must value the friendship that you have until that outcome will test your relationship and make everything a blur. Because in reality, 'Strangers can become best friends just as quickly as best friends can become strangers.