chapter 4

Grayson Dolan

Graduation is definitely something I look forward to. Well, that, and the fact that I am going to turn eightteen that day as well. School, on the other hand, is ten thousand times less exciting. At six AM, my alarm clock buzzes every morning. Every morning I follow the same routine. Get up, dress myself (in our uniform, of course), eat, brush my teeth and rush to school with one of my best friends Raven.

This morning was exactly the same. At eight AM sharp, Raven knocked on the door and I followed her outside. This was the hardest part of the day. I wanted to tell her about my weekend but since we were not allowed to speak in the middle of a road, I had to wait until we arrived at school. Even though I didn't like school at all, school was my safe place. I could hang out with friends without getting stared at by Gravers and we could just do our thing, (almost) not having to think about the stupid rules.

We all shared the same opinion, though. The rules needed to go. Sadly, we could not control that at all and none of our parents had any power to even have a little say in anything. Sometimes we liked to fantasize about what it would be like without rules. The world would be a better place, that is for sure.

"What if we were able to actually get rid of the rules?" Cassandra asked Raven, tapping her finger on her chin. Didn't I just say was my safe place because we didn't have to think about the rules?

"Cass, will you just shut up? It's never going to happen and if someone were to rat us out for talking about this, we'd be royally screwed." Cassandra glared at me and then rolled her eyes, clearly annoyed by what I just said.

"You're a party-pooper, Grayson. Don't tell me you haven't thought about it." I shook my head no. I had indeed though about it but I am pretty sure anybody in this school had thought about it at least once. "By the way, Gravers will start to get old at one point and they will die. Nobody wants to be a Graver nowadays. Cassandra will take over!"

We all laugh at her. Cass had always been like that. Even when she was a little girl, she was obsessed with Cat Woman and Superwoman and it was obvious back then that she wantedto rule the world. She always remained positive about the fact that a new era would break out eventually. As ridiculous as that sounds, I also hoped that that would be the case. If not for me, for my children.

"Seriously though, guys. My dad's friends daughter has a key to the Congress because she's sleeping with the Ruler's son." Cass tells us, wiggling her eyebrows. "We could easily sneak in if I told her that I want to write an essay about the Rulers."

The Rulers are responsible for the Rulebook and the Gravers, they're basically royals. They rule over all the districts and make all the important decisions with the Congress. They never really show themselves but ever since their son was burn, they had to. Their son, Mavin, was basically our age so sometimes we'd see him in magazines. If his father were to die, he would be the next Ruler. From what I've read in the magazines, he doesn't seem to prepare himself for that.

"You watch too much movies, Cass." Ethan said. "You don't actually believe she'll give you the keys for their Palace, right? You actually believe that she's that stupid?"

"Uh, yeah, actually. I do!" Cassandra said. "Guys, I want to capture the Palace."