Chapter 8: Evil Queen

King John's heart pounded as he walked through the empty halls that echoed every shaky step he made on his way to the throne room. Last night the shadowy visitors at the castle that set his number one foe free was all that anyone could talk about. Especially the fact the one leading them was his beloved niece, Princess Amanda. Even now he could feel where the sword pinned his neck and how her eyes burned. He never thought his niece was cable of that. Though that was not the thing he was afraid of, she could do whatever she wanted. It was the fact it spread like the plague through the castle, becoming the utterance of every soldier and servant within the stone fortress.

Eventually, the one he feared knew of Amanda's visit and paged him from his office to the throne room.

Outside the throne room's door, the king took in a shaky breath before mentioning the guards to open it. The doors opened into a large room. A large red carpet with golden accents covered the floor; matching the golden vines that spread across the white walls. At the far back of the room was the golden throne and sitting on it was his beautiful queen Hellen. At his arrival, she gave him a scowl.

"Helen-" She cleared her throat. King John blushed. " I mean, beautiful queen,"

"That's better."

"How may I be of service?"

"Several weeks ago, you told me your niece was dead."

"And she is! I made sure of it!"

"Liar!" She banged her sceptre on the ground with a bang. "You made sure that she could escape! "

"I did not!"

"So explain to me why do I hear my servants muttering of her arrival?" King John hung his head.

"I don't know, I'll make sure she is dead next time!" The queen scoffed.

"You think you can play me for a fool?" She glared at him. "There won't be a next time!" The king's eyes widdened in fear.

"No, please!" He begged to sink to his knees. The queen rose to her feet and descended down the steps to him." I have made up my mind, John. You have proven to be nothing but a pathetic king!" She said, kicking in the head. She watched his crown fell off his head as he tumbled down the steps.

"I can make it up to you I swear!" John pleaded as she sat back down on her throne. She stared at the begging figure who used to be husband.

"Once I thought you were ambitious when you killed your brother, but you are soft like everyone else. How disappointing." She said. "Since you are so eager to protect that niece of yours, I'll let you live, so that you may watch me kill her myself!" She said banging the sceptre once more. "Guards take this pathetic creature to the dungeon!" Within seconds the guards grabbed John by the arm. Before they started dragging him out, he glared at her.

"Y-you're evil." She scoffed and leaned forward.

"You haven't seen nothing, John." She straightened up and whisked her hand.

"Take him away I have much work to do." She said watching John squirm and scream as they took him away.

Much work to do indeed.