xviii. | the barn

DUE TO THE EVENTS OF ANDREA SHOOTING DARYL, they laid Daryl up in the guest room to rest for awhile under Hershel's orders despite that he didn't want to be laid up for as long as he had to be laid up

Daryl fighting them about being laid up reminded her when she fought her own parents about resting when she broke her right kneecap from softball. It was horrible laying down all day long.

Ella kind of became depressed after that, but it went away after a couple months of therapy. It was a temporary depression.

Ella sat in the dirt with Carl as they played with some toys Beth gave Carl to play with when Carl was bored out of his mind, so she could occupy himself, and so he wouldn't bother any of the adults out of literal boredom.

"Ah, sister-brother bond," Dale chuckled as he walked up to the pair. Ella looked up at him and smiled. "Uh, can we talk?" Dale suddenly asked, worrying Ella instantly.

She gave him a nod, telling Carl to stay right there until she got back from having a discussion with Dale. He guided her away from camp, out of every single person's earshot. She frowned, wondering what the conversation was going to be about.

Once they were in the fields near the windmill, a little bit away from camp, Dale sighed deeply.

Ella frowned. "So. . . what's this about?"

"I needed to talk to someone about something. . . terrible," he paused, glancing around to make sure no one was eavesdropping. "You are a good person, you're someone I know I can trust," he frowned when he noticed Ella was getting more worried.

"Anyways. . . your father. . . you how bad his temper can get. You know how bad he fights with everyone, because he thinks that we have to survive no matter what. . . even if we have to kill innocent people to survive."

Ella's breath hitched, she was wondering where he was taking this. She noticed Shane was standing near Carl, talking to the young boy.

"And you remember when Rick got back?" Dale asked, she nodded. "Well, I don't know if you noticed, but he had this jealous look in his eyes whenever he saw Lori and Rick reunited. . . I thought maybe something happened between Lori and Shane, and you know, I was right when Glenn told me she was pregnant, but, uh, that's also not the point," Dale paused. Ella widened her eyes when he mentioned all of that at once. "I think. . . I think he killed Otis, and I think he's been hiding it this entire time by lying."

Her lips parted open, her jaw dropped open.

"Dale. . . why would my dad-" she began, her voice and tone immensely saddened instead of worried and concerned.