Dark in the Light

Skyler's POV

The Nine Muses cranked up the tunes, and I realized the music was whatever you wanted it to be: the gods could listen to classical and the younger demigods heard hip-hop or whatever, and it was all the same soundtrack. No arguments. No fights to change the radio station. Just requests to crank it up.

Dionysus went around growing refreshment stands out of the ground, and a beautiful woman walked with him arm in arm, his wife, Ariadne. Dionysus looked happy for the first time. Nectar and ambrosia overflowed from golden fountains, and platters of mortal snack food crowded the banquet tables. Golden goblets filled with whatever drink you wanted. Grover trotted around with a full plate of tin cans and enchiladas, and his goblet was full of double-espresso latte, which he kept muttering over like an incantation: "Pan! Pan!"

Gods would approach Percy to congratulate him. Thankfully, they had reduced themselves to human size, so they didn't accidentally trample partygoers under their feet. Hermes started chatting with me, and he was so cheerful I hated to tell him what had happened to his least-favorite son, Luke, but before I could even get up the courage, Hermes got a call on his caduceus and walked away.

Percy had excused himself from talking to a minor god and came to stand by my side. I kept my eyes on my goblet that was filled with Sprite. "They were right. I shouldn't be here Percy. I've betrayed you, the gods, Annabeth--"

"Don't. This isn't the time." He said, placing his hand on my shoulder. He motioned towards the party around us. "Right now. Enjoy being carefree. We don't have to worry about anything for now."

Percy smiled as he looked at the gods, godlings, and satyrs alike dance without a care in the world. The streak of gray that passed through his black hair was faint but noticeable. I reached up and gingerly touched the streak, drawing his attention from the party. He smiled at me, pain deep behind his eyes. I hurt him. Again.

"I'm sorry." I said softly as I stared into his green eyes. I backed away into the sea of people and found a quiet corner, where a few godlings were talking in ancient Greek.

Percy's POV

Skyler had left to the gods know where. Annabeth was dancing with a minor godling seeming to enjoy herself and Thalia and Artemis were discussing something.

I found myself in a quiet courtyard, glancing at the flowers that glowed faintly in the moonlight.

"You won't let me down, I hope."

I turned and found Poseidon smiling at me. "Dad... hi."

"Hello, Percy. You've done well." His praise made me uneasy. I mean, it felt good, but I knew just how much he'd put himself on the line, vouching for me. It would've been a lot easier to let the others disintegrate me.

"I won't let you down," I promised.

He nodded. I had trouble reading gods' emotions, but I wondered if he had some doubts.

"Your friend Luke--"

"He's not my friend," I blurted out. Then I realized it was probably rude to interrupt. "Sorry."

"Your former friend Luke," Poseidon corrected. "He once promised things like that. He was Hermes's pride and joy. Just bear that in mind, Percy. Even the bravest can fall."

"Luke fell pretty hard," I agreed. "He's dead."

Poseidon shook his head. "No, Percy. He is not."

I stared at him. "What?"

"I believe Skyler told you this. Luke still lives. I have seen it. His boat sails from San Francisco with the remains of Kronos even now. He will retreat and regroup before assaulting you again. I will do my best to destroy his boat with storms, but he is making alliances with my enemies, the older spirits of the ocean. They will fight to protect him."