C H A P T E R | F O U R T E E N

"So, what do we do about

"So, what do we do about . . . what's her face?" Piper snapped her fingers, trying to remember Amelia's name. She sat on the couch, next to Abigale, one leg crossed over the other.

I didn't understand why Piper had such a cold shoulder on the matter. Nick's sister was dead just like our friends. How could she feel nothing for Amelia's death? While I might not had looked like I was all right with any of it, I wasn't a ball of sunshine either. In fact, I was as broken as Nick when I found her body in the bathtub. But I had to control my emotions because I couldn't afford to break down so easily. If we let our walls down, there was no guarantee that they'd be put back into place.

But I didn't know if this was how she had felt. If any of them felt the same way, how it'd be better to think about our emotions later rather than now.

While Nick and Sam were in their rooms, dealing with their mental breakdowns from the recent find, the rest of the gang sat in the living room, figuring out our next move.

"Should we go back to retrieve Amelia's body so she could have a proper burial and funeral?" Tori tucked her hands in her armpits as her teeth chattered away. She sat close to me, on the floor, with her phone plugged into the wall-socket. I got up to hand her a blanket that hung over the chair Caden sat in, then sat down next to her again.

Abigale sighed. "What's the point of burying them? We'd have to dig them back up again anyway when the police arrive."

"You mean if they arrive. Need I remind you that there's no way to contact them? And hell, we may not even survive!"

"Caden, you're not helping!" I snapped, rubbing my fingers across my forehead for comfort. Though it didn't help, but I wished it had.

"It's true! If things keep going the way they are, we won't survive these next few days. What's gonna happen, mate? Tori or Freyja dies next? This is what it's come down to!"

"But stating the obvious isn't helping our current situation!"

"Oh, I'm sorry, Ash; I'm sorry that I'm the only one that's keeping score of reality here."

"Will you two just shut up!" Our heads snapped to Abigale, teeth grinding against each other and the bags under her eyes clear as day. The stress of the problem was on everyone's shoulders. You could tell that no one slept, that no one was happy about anything. "Y'all just waste time on fighting when we could try to get to the bottom of things. Now, did you guys get caught yesterday? I mean, obviously y'all survived, but did you run away if he saw you or somethin'?" Abigale asked, furrowing her eyebrows at mine and Caden's directions.

I shook my head. "No. No one was around—"

Caden interrupted me, shooting a glare my way. "Or at least, it seemed like it."