Chapter 1

A seep of translucent light flowed in the darkness of oblivion

A seep of translucent light flowed in the darkness of oblivion. One by one, like a balkanized lot, marched forward to their destination. And there she was, standing there with eyes closed.

I tried reaching out towards her, and even though she was within arm's reach, she seemed so far away.

Then, she reached out. As if knowing the inaudible lights are marching towards her. I, unbeknownst of what is happening around me, took a step forward. As it seemed like danger would come to that girl if I left her with those lights.

As the lights about to reach her left outstretched palm, I started running when I saw a shadow. A large shadow that scarcely told me she is safe in its arms. Sadly, it reached her before I could get to her.

Although she is unknown to me, I felt guilt and sadness burning my lungs. I wailed at the monster, as I watched her be devoured.

I woke up in cold sweat, nerved by what I had dreamed. And for the first time in five years, I felt scared over a death premonition I had.

My name is Alexein Douglas, a girl with the ability to presage someone's death. And unfortunately, I met them minutes before they reach their estimated death.

I felt like a Grim Reaper or something at that.

"Scares me." I sighed deeply, as if that would take the haunting scenario away. Then I stood up, and felt the pain in my nape and arms. I looked around me, "Right. I fell asleep. On my break, great." I just hope Aunt Zaira won't get mad at me for that.

I stretched my limbs, so every muscle would wake up and work with me. Wouldn't want to trip over nothing while the coffee lands on the customer.

And while I am on that topic, I just remembered what I had done before.

And she scolded me, big time.

Speaking of her, Auntie Zaira came to check the room. She does this every time an employee takes a break, or when their break is over.

"Alex, it's time." Auntie Zaira said with a playful tone ringing in my ears. "My break is over? Already?" She chuckled at my words, "Yes, dear. Hurry up now, it's already four o'clock." She reminded.

With that, I hurriedly fixed my apron and the bland light brown blouse. I straightened the typical mahogany long pencil skirt that we, ladies, wore. "Right, auntie."

Four o'clock to Seven o'clock is the busiest time in this cafe, for it is near and almost surrounded by schools and office buildings.

I propelled the chair back to its supposed place and walked out of the break room, following Auntie Zaira with me. But as we part ways, she abruptly turned at my direction. "Dear, if a woman came and proclaimed herself as 'Louise Evergreen', lead them to my office." Auntie Zaira ordered as she looked at me with eyes speaking of seriousness.

I nodded, understanding her statement. She thanked me and turned towards the manager's office.

"You slept again?" I looked to my left and saw a familiar face. His deep voice stenched with worry, "Don't you ever get hungry?" I sheepishly scratched my nape, "Well I guess.." I trailed off when my stomach growled so loudly, demanding for food. Blood, undoubtedly, rushed on my cheeks as I stared down.

He chuckled, "Right. I suppose you can grab a bite for now." He raised his wrist, checking the time in his wrist watch. "It's still three forty. Plenty of time if you ask me." Then he smiled, "Go on. Shoo!"

But I hesitated once I saw him fish out something from his pocket and placed it on my palms. "But.." "No buts! You better eat young lady, you'd collapse in your lack of nutrients!" He cut me off, as he pushed me towards the door.

I smiled at his action, "Thank you." He placed his fists on either side of his hips, like a mother scolding her daughter, "You better. I won't let this slide again, got it?" Somehow, a chuckle vibrated through before I could stop it, "Okay, okay. Sorry about this." I said as I approach the door. However, the door opened as the chime rings. I looked at the woman who wore all red. Red turtleneck with no sleeves accompanied with red heels.

She looked taller if both of us are compared. Not to mention, I am pretty sure that I would look uglier than I already am. Her silky brown hair rest on her left shoulder, with hazel eyes that stared deep into my soul.

She is accompanied, not only with heels and good looks, but also with a young boy who seemed younger than me. He had chocolate mauve hair and he wore a light grey t-shirt with red plaid flannel shirt over the top. He had some.. I do not know if it is denim or skinny or whatever, but he wore black pants.

I looked away from him before I could see what color his eyes bear. The moment the woman's eyes and mine met, she smiled. "My name is Louise Evergreen." I didn't process what she said, but when it did, I felt like something clicked. "Oh! Right this way, please."

I led them to the manager's office as Auntie Zaira instructed me to. And it seemed like my normal life would go on, however..

"Ma'am Zaira, your guest is here." I spoke politely and distantly. As if to say, we have no connections at all.

Because if you ask me, there are only two people I know who have an ability. It is Auntie Zaira and I, she had the ability levitate things or someone. Depends on her mood.

The door opened, "Oh? You're already here?" Auntie Zaira asked as she furrowed her eyebrows, not expecting these two to be here already.

"Well, we are a tad bit earlier than scheduled. The stellar meeting was cancelled because his family got sick, something like that." Then Miss Evergreen looked at the boy beside her, "If you don't mind, I brought this ball of sunshine with me."

They seemed like a playful duo.

"Come in, come in." Auntie Zaira beckoned. The duo went inside while Auntie Zaira turned and looked at me, "Lexi, have you ate yet?" I looked at her, confused by the sudden question. "Uhm, I was just about to.." I trailed off as I watched a smile take its form on her lips. "If you don't mind, would you like to take a bite with us?"

Shouldn't I be the one to ask that..?

I gaped like a fish at her question, and as I do, my inner thoughts roved over the idea of joining them for a so-called bite. I doubt it is just a simple treat, it must be that I am involved in the matter if she is willing to let me in.

But who knows, maybe it is just a simple treat.

Or is it?

Shaking the thoughts off, I nodded. She made way for me to went inside, and so I did.

However, once I got inside, only did I noticed how thick the silence had become. How quiet and cold it is to be inside this room, as if every secret were unraveled here.

I try to gulp the fear erupting from my stomach. Like an acidic lava about to erupt from within me, this is bloody terrifying.

Did I just made a mistake agreeing for a simple treat?