Chapter 8

"So, all of this happened when I left?" "Yeah."

After the troublesome occurrence, the man in dark cloak was no more. He seemed to teleport into thin air earlier. Now, as absurd as I may sound, I'm starting to believe the existence of this magic nonsense.

"Hey," Someone tapped my shoulder and called softly. When I turn on my left, it is the same person to that has garnite eyes and magically have brown eyes. He smiled at me before he continued saying, "Uh, my name is Jamie Valencia." Didn't he already introduced himself earlier?

My expression, even if I couldn't see it, seems to speak it all when his smile turned a bit awkward. "Have I already said that?" He asked. I nodded, and when I did, he laughed very awkwardly. Then silence occured.

I watched his expression at me, and he looks like he wants to say something but can't say it. I don't know if this would be real, but I have a slight feeling that this guy and I would get along, somehow.

"You can say it, if you want to." That caught his attention, he was currently looking at the ground in thought. He hummed in confusion.

His reaction makes me quite amused. So I, in turn, repeat my statement. When he heard it the second time, he smiled like he was trying to keep his laughter but he couldn't stop it from releasing.

He stared at me for a few seconds before he gape his mouth open whilst smiling. But before he can utter a sound, William came. "Let's go, Lexi." Hm? Lexi? "You can call me Alex, though?" I joked.

He looked at me, "I prefer Lexi though.. but if you're not comfortable with Lexi then.." "No, no. I didn't mean that." I said, quite flustered.

A smile came across his lips, "Well I know that." What! I didn't know this guy is a sort of jokester.

"Well, Lexi. I have something to tell you." His pause turned the surroundings as quiet as the closed-off person. "It's relevant to the event that happened today." He said. But his tone is something to take note of, he sounded sad but relieved at the same time.

What could it be? Would it involve another terrorist attack?

"... I see.."

Glum and frightened, I looked at the lifeless color of the ground. From there, I am reminded by the things he said and the rules that are implied on me. What I couldn't believe is that, I am a target that the terrorists attempted to snatch earlier. However, I dare to object that honestly speaking. That man said that I belong to the Chambers of the passed souls, to the "hometown" I have no idea of.

What the heck? Does that mean that I would die in the near future? Is what I saw in my dream coming true?

If that really were to happen, that means that I should tell them about it. Right? That's the automatic response towards that weird dream.

"I've dreamt something before William and his mother came to the cafe before." I started. A pause of hesitation occured, and the thought of them not believing amplified that pause. But see, if they'll refuse to believe this.. statement of mine, I'd question the existence of this weirdly developed academy.

As much as I want to believe that all of this is a simple dream, I can't. And I know I shouldn't, else I would've been killed right off the bat. Right?

Or maybe all of this is props.

But I got seriously hurt earlier, they wouldn't go that far if this is a show.

Or a prank for that matter.

I took one deep breath before I looked at them, "There was this person I saw. Surrounded by bright lights floating around her. And instead of avoiding those lights, she just.." Succumb isn't a word for it, it's kind of like.. "Let it touch her. In the sense that even I, who dreams this sort of things every single day without feeling any sense of fright or danger, knows there's something off about that strange glowing things." I said then paused in the midst of remembering that dream.

"I don't know if it is someone close to me. All I know is it is dangerous and should not be near her. But I couldn't do any thing but reach out." I felt my shoulders felt heavy for some reason. "While she just.. smiled there. Like it is something she waited for the longest of time." I said.

Silence beckoned the suffocating ambience, a kind I haven't felt before. I don't know this.. but for some reason, it's oddly nostalgic.

What the hell. You weird idiot, what.

"This really is a dangerous job for you to take alone, William." When Barbara spoke and say that, I felt fear and anxiety rise to the heights of Mountain Everest. "I know. Exactly the reason why both of you should not accompany me." He replied.

"Alexein Douglas, your real name is not that. But Edith Jade. And the being who used to have that name, mystifies both death and life. The truth about your life isn't found within this school, it is found elsewhere. Found within the place of extraterrestrial things that lurks somewhere in the corner of this Earth." William said. When he said that, I laughed in instinct. "What are you talking about, Liam? Stop joking around like that!" I said before I laughed harder.

However, when Liam nor anyone made any move to signify that it's all a joke, I stopped. Believing it is something that I couldn't do, even if I know I should do so. It's a feeling that I know I should, I really should, but I can't.

And that itself hurts. Arguing with myself like a bunch of bitter sauce being poured on a sour soup.

A one deep breath is all I could muster before I smiled then asked if that is all there is he should tell me. I couldn't focus much on what he mostly said, and unusual for me is I couldn't remember vividly what he said.

But what he said is along the lines of somewhere near in the far away city of the southeast forest.

"..ith? Edith!" I looked up at the person who was actually shaking my shoulder. I blinked a few times to figure out why he was looking at me worriedly, then the answer popped up to my head.

"Hm?"

"We can not look for her if you want." He is offering me to rest here, right? Is that what it is?

"No, it's fine. I'm just trying to remember where we'll go tonight." I reassured him.

Well, better to go for an adventure than not, right?