Prologue

Prologue

Jason's POV

  She couldn't move. It was almost as if she were paralyzed. But I knew she wasn't. She was clinging onto me as if I would disappear if I weren't within arm's length of her.

  "Leah," I whispered, almost afraid to shatter the silence.

  But that was it. There was no silence. It was so noisy it seemed as if silence had never existed. The sound of the flames tearing away at the car mere meters from us was almost deafening. But the sight was purely unbearable, and it was all I could do not to look back up at the two charred bodies laying inside the red minivan. Mr. and Mrs. Ink. Leah's parents.

  "Shh... Leah, look at me hun. Leah! Look at me!" I tried to pull the quiet girl from my chest, this time using a stronger tone.

  She blinked and looked up at me a bit surprised. I had never spoken to her that way before. I sighed heavily, and hugged her from the side, only for her to pull away. This time I was the one taken by surprise. She's never refused a hug from anyone. Ever.

  "You need to let out your feelings. We're only going to get through this if you let me help you," I said, trying to hold her again.

  Her eyes softened as she dug her face back into my chest and began to cry her eyes out.