Chapter Eight

Katy's P.O.V

I walked out of the bathroom with only a towel around my body. I went into my closet and took out a pair of blue jeans and a maroon, turtle neck, long sleeve shirt. After putting on my underwear, I walked to my full length mirror and turned around. I took a moment to admire the scars on my back and my forearm. The massive difference in tone and skin texture served as a reminder of how deep the wounds really were.

Letting out a sigh, I walked away from my reflection and got dressed. I didn't wear much makeup. Only some eyeliner, mascara and lip gloss. After tying up my ankle boots, I took my bag and headed downstairs. To my surprise, mum was already in the kitchen, preparing breakfast.

"Bonjour ma cherie. Tu as bien dormi?" (Good morning sweetie. Did you sleep well?)

"Comme un bébé. Ça sent bon ici." (Like a baby. It smells good in her.)

"Well, it's your first day of school. I couldn't just let you go without making sure you had a solid breakfast." she said and put down a plate of omelets and sausages in front of me before sitting right across from me.

"Thanks Mum, but you don't have to wait for me. I'll walk."

She didn't comment on what I said which was unlike her but I decided to brush it off.

"So, what's your goal for this school year?"

"Being valedictorian is what I'm after. Last year I finished third. Third is not bad, but I know I wasn't giving the best of myself. This year will be different."

"Yeah but remember, last year things were different..."

"Just like they are now; I'm not using what happened as an excuse because I know I could've done better. This year I'm setting new standers and will go by them."

Nodding understandingly, I could feel like she was dying to something but decided against it.

"All of this is great. Just remember not to overwork yourself, alright?"

"I can't really promise you that. You know I'm a perfectionist."

When I was done, I kissed her goodbye while I threw my bag over my shoulder and gulped down the rest of my juice before walking towards the front door. As I checked my bag to make sure I didn't forget anything, I stopped walking when I noticed an unfamiliar car in our driveway. It was a white Nissan Murano. That was weird. Mum drives a black BMW X6 and she never told me she had plans to buy a new car.

I was barely past the front door and stopped when I found my mum standing right in front of me with a little box in her hand.

"Mum, there's a car in our driveway is it yours?" I questioned and she simply smiled before handing me the box.

"What's this?"

"How bout you open it and find out for yourself?" she said and I let out a small laugh before opening it.

It was a car key. Wait a car key? Why would she give me a... My eyes widened in realization and I looked at her.

"Joyeux anniversaire ma chérie." (Happy birthday, my darling.)

I looked at the key and then opened the door before pressing the button which unlocked the car.

"Mum are you serious? You're tricking me. I'm not falling for that prank again." I said in disbelief.

"Well you were probably delusional to think I would actually buy you a car at fifteen. But you're eighteen now sweetie and you've shown me time and time again that I can trust you."