Chaper 2 - The Pain Love Brings

For the next 2 days, David ignored me, excusing him out, giving his reasons to our parents. He joined us only at the dining table and the rest of the time he was either in his room or went out. I felt rejected and hurt, but I gulped down those feelings, helping myself responsible for falling too soon after someone I hardly know. But the pain seemed inevitable like someone had scratched my heart with brittle claws. But, I survived those blows and kept myself busy with elders, conversing with them, helping mom and aunt in the kitchen, playing games and listening music on my mobile at free hours. But at night, I secretly used to cry for I felt really awful about everything. Sarah felt sad for me and advised I should keep distance from him if he is avoiding me. I agreed with her and did the same. Even at the dining table, I made sure I didn't even give a single glance at him, all the time, cheerfully talking with elders. He didn't even once bother to confront me or talk to me.

On the third day, after that Incident, Mom and Aunt Martha, Dad and Uncle Sam, were busy with their conversations. David spent the early hours of the day in his room and I sat with the elders, watching them talk or watching TV in between after lunch. Later, we all decided to sit outside on the lawn together, like every day. My heart had accepted David's ignorance, but I still used to feel bad. I wondered why He was dragging it so much. He could have easily let it go and be normal. I wasn't forcing him for anything. The thought hurt me and I believed that he simply didn't like my company.

I was about to join the others on the lawn, standing at the main gate when I saw him climbing down the stairs.

He spotted me and asked,"Hey, where is everyone?"in a serious tone,

"Outside, on the lawn."I replied, quietly. He already knew the routine yet he asked me.

"Are you going outside too?" He inquired.

Like I have a choice. I said sadly inside. Not wanting to talk to him. Yet I replied as cheerfully as I can, acting like nothing happened, imitating him, and said, "Yes"

"Won't you be bored outside?" He asked curiously. I didn't have any idea what he was intending to say. He looked confused over something and his appearance spoke of the same confusion as his hairs were dishevelled and his eyes a little weary.

"I don't mind. I am fond of nature, I told you so, of course." I said, smiling weakly, as I added, “I wouldn't mind sitting out in the lawn."

"Sure?" He asked as if wanting me to change my mind, but he said nothing more so I said, "Sitting outside, with others would be fun too." It was a lie. I like nature, but sitting idly with no one to talk to except adults already having a conversation is so boring but I'd never tell him that, his ignorance is affecting me. I might be going gaga over him, but I value myself respect more.

This is not how I wanted my summer vacation to be. I'd rather spend it at home, spending time with my best friend Sarah and others.

Then he said, "Let them be. Your favorite song is playing on YouTube. Come on, afterwards we can watch a movie together, if it's okay with you?"

Okay with me? Taylor Swift's: Love Story. My ultimate favorite, I can hear it on repeat for hours, and I have a chance of watching a movie with him. Wow. The offer is too tempting to refuse, but pride says I shouldn't let him do anything for me like he is duty bound to do so.

"Thank you, but you watch. I'm okay here."

"Okay," he nodded, accepting what I said, without trying to convince me against it and went upstairs.

I frowned. It hurt. He was only being friendly as I'm his guest, I reminded myself. I shouldn't keep my hopes high, but yet feeling that he couldn’t just ask one more without giving up? I hit the ground with my right feet, feeling irritated at me and at him before going outside.

Everyone was busy talking and I was sulking inside for refusing his offer. Pride, such a waste of a tempting opportunity.

I sat there thinking and smiling in between, sometimes over what they were saying, whenever they looked still me. I don't know why, but I felt strange all of a sudden. As if I'm being watched, but I know there is no one around in the house. I didn't let it bother me so much. , I already had one thought in my head. David.

Aunt Martha even suggested that if I'm bored then she can have David show me around, but I refused, saying I will go when mom goes. That led to a few conversations about me.

"You don't have to be so jealous about it darling, stop teasing her." mom smiled at dad

"Forget it, Mom. Dad is just upset that he can't control the both of us." I hugged my mom as I said that.

"Looks like my daughter doesn't want pocket money anymore," he teased. I made a mock-face.

He laughed along with the others.

"I'm proud of my little girl. She's the best in the world. Isn't she darling?" He said, looking lovingly at mom.

Mom put her arm on my back and smiled, "Yes, she is."

I smiled at the both of them

"She has a very nice voice." Mom told Aunt Martha.

Aunt Martha smiled, "that's wonderful. Would you like to sing for us, Emily?"

Dad and Uncle Sam laughed together and nodded.

I smiled, "I wouldn't mind."

"If you need a guitar then you can get it from David's room." Aunt Martha said.

Wow... David plays guitar too. He is a wonderful package of surprises I was happy to know it and then felt sad again that he didn’t share this thing with me, even though he asked me so many things about my liking and interest in music. Then I reminded myself as some mantra that he didn't like me, he was only being friendly with me because I'm his guest. I thought I should go get it, but then I recalled refusing his offer of watching movies together, a while later, so it didn't feel nice to go to his room and fetch the guitar.

"No, that's fine, I can sing without it"

Aunt Martha nodded, "as you wish, dear."

I took a moment to think which song to before I decided on one. I started to sing, dedicating it to my first crush, David. I wished he was here or if it's not too much to ask, then I wish he can hear me somehow. Feeling sad inside, but keeping a smile on my face and looking at the happy faces of my parents and his, I started singing.