nineteen - too cool for school

warning this chapter sucks

-

There was something different about walking through the school gates this morning, knowing that I had no idea what to expect from today. I didn't want to be that type of girl to harass Ashton about our 'relationship' and where we're at - but I wish I could.

Ashton and I had agreed yesterday at the theme park to just take things slowly since neither of us were sure where this whole thing was go, although all of that kind of failed when we ended up heavily making out on the ferris wheel. I knew that Ashton wouldn't go all Romeo on me and confess his love back, in fact he didn't really say much yesterday. Even though his actions make it clear that he has at least some affection towards me, I was desperate to know more.

As I walk through the blue gates at school, I notice something slightly different to my ususal scene when I walk in. Ashton was stood, wearing his all black outfit, with his back pressed against the wall watching me intently as I approach him - feeling my heart pounding in my chest from the gorgeous sight. In fact, it was strange knowing that a few months ago we hardly knew each other, now we're here.

"Good morning, Lacey," Ashton greets as he stands up straight, smiling as I walk up to where he's stood.

"You're here early," I observe, knowing that being on time for school had never been a trait of Ashton's since I never see him around until second period. 

"Yeah, I know." Ashton nods in agreement. "My mum gave me a lift to school before she went to the airport."

Ashton presses his lips together and looks to the ground, showing that discussing his home life was something he definitely did not want to press on right now. I'd wondered for a while now what kind of relationship he had with his parents, although I understood very well that it's not my buisness and if Ashton wanted to tell me - I hoped that he would.

A small smile creeps onto my lips. "And you just decided to hang out by the school gates?"

Ashton rolls his eyes, before allowing his thin lined lips to ease into a chuckle. "Maybe I was waiting for a certain someone."

 I smile at his statement. "Cute."

Ashton shakes his head with a chuckle, before walking along side me into the school building. Not many people are about this early, in fact you won't see most until a second before the bell goes to get to first period. Ashton and I stop once we get to my locker as he leans against the lockers beside mine and watches me with a smile - causing my heart to melt.

"Hey Lacey?" Ashton speaks as I delve into my locker. I nod in response before he continues, "I like you. You know that, right?"

I feel my heart stop as I jump at his words, knocking the top of my head against the top of my locker. I wince slightly from the pain, still attempting to comprehend that Ashton had just put all my questions - well, most of them - to rest. I half smile as I look to him, hiding the fact that my head is throbbing.

"I-um," I stammer as I gaze to Ashton, "Really?"

Ashton furrows his eyebrows as he looks away and then back to me - probably  wishing he could take his words back. I still did not quite get how someone like him would even like someone like me? He's just so cool and I'm so weird - it doesn't make sense and it was going to make me go insane sooner or later.

"Yes," Ashton chuckles, before his face turns to dead serious. "Don't go thinking this means I'll turn into one of those guys whio holds your purse and buys you coffee in the morning and oh god, I'm not shaving your legs!"