<-2-> Chapter 5

Heeeeeeelllooooooo!

I'm back!

Longest chapter yet!

Ready for this?

Cause here goes nothing...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Five Years Ago

"Puddlejumpers work by creating a point of negative mass to punch a hole in space-time. The Nygev matrix stabilizes the ingress portal for a few seconds and through this, we gain access to this interdimensional zone between universes - we call it the "antitemporal layer" because time doesn't exist inside it. From there, supercomputers can plot a course through the layer using the Ash Equation, use the matrix to establish a "tunnel" using cosmic strings and shoot negative mass through the tunnel at the egress portal, completing a wormhole."

Carson glanced briefly at Kuznetsov to ensure he was still paying attention.

"Superimposed space is another dimension that's... ah, it's more or less overlayed over the antitemporal layer," he continued, content with Kuznetsov's concentration. "But it violates basically everything we thought we knew about cross-universe mechanics. You see, with the antitemporal layer the wormhole has to be completed before the puddlejumper can make the journey. With superimposed space, the wormhole can be more of a bubble that surrounds a puddlejumper and carries it between an ingress portal - which would have collapsed by now - and a set egress point using cosmic strings as a guideline. This means we don't need insane amounts of power to keep a wormhole open as the Nygev-Ash matrix does its business. We also don't have to deal with the Alzmann Effect, which is why Nygev-Ash wormholes can only be opened on points of gravitational neutrality."

"Why do you need a Nygev-Ash if the two are fundamentally different?" Kuznetsov eventually asked, glancing up as he scrawled notes down on the back of a napkin.

"I don't," Carson replied bluntly. "I just need a wormhole matrix. The best way to get one is a Nygev-Ash."

"And the best way to get one of those is a puddlejumper."

"Indeed."

"So."

Carson raised an eyebrow.

"If you need a Republic puddlejumper, why can't you give superimposed space to me?"

"I can," Carson replied simply.

"It's a risk assessment," the businessman continued. "Currently, it's a coin flip on whether or not we can actually make the damn thing. With the Republic in control it becomes a question of if the Union will start a multiversal war and kill trillions of people." Carson glanced at Kuznetsov sarcastically. "Your choice, Admiral."

Kuznetsov waved the comment off. He had already figured that out - he just wanted to make sure Carson was on the same page.

"Great." Kuznetsov stood, stuffing the napkin into his shirt pocket. "I leave in 36 hours. We'll talk tomorrow."

The Grand Admiral trudged off to his quarters.

<~~~<~~<~<>~>~~>~~~>

"Aurora Flare."

It felt strangely obvious now that Kuznetsov found some time to sleep.

"What?"

Kuznetsov blinked furiously. "The Aurora Flare. It makes sense."

"Isn't that... your old ship?"

"Y-yes, but that isn't the point," Kuznetsov said quickly, brushing off Carson's comment. "Listen. Aurora Flare is responsible for Alru's destruction. Caroki hate her. Losing her in Carok might actually... make sense."