Chapter 3: Come Get to This

Girl, I know you've been gone a long time

You nearly blew my mind, baby

Girl, you've been gone for so long

I'm so glad, glad that you call me your baby

The engines both failed, they said.

The Pilots did everything they could, they said.

This rarely happens, they said.

But it did happen. It happened to you and Joanne, and Tim and Will and everybody else that was on that plane.

Months ago, you crashed and you still don’t have your memories back. Physically, everything is healed so you don’t understand why you can’t remember. All you have is your memories from six years ago and a preliminary report to tell you why the accident happened.

You’re pissed off.

Since you finished work, yesterday, you’ve been sitting in your room at your parents, quietly fuming. You know you need to get ready soon, you’d agreed to meet some of yours and Kara’s friend this Saturday evening, but you can’t focus on anything besides not remembering.

Your parents had filled you in, yesterday on everything the report said. You’ve been processing in silence since.

“Lee, you ready?” Before you know it, Kara is here to pick you up. You’re not ready, you’re not dressed, you’re curled up in the foetal position on your bed. You don’t answer and so she tentatively walks in. “Oh, Lee. Are you okay?” She sits down next to you and places her hand on your leg. “Do you want to talk to me, tell me what’s wrong?”

“Everything.”

“I know, I know you’re struggling but it’s okay. Everything will be okay, somehow, I promise you.” She rubs your leg and it begins to comfort you, a little. “We can cancel tonight, if you’re not up for it.” Again you find yourself admiring the slip of skin where her dress has ridden up a little bit.

She looks beautiful in red.

“I just-can I just have a few minutes.” You can’t keep putting off meeting people you both do and don’t do know.

“Of course.”

Half an hour later, you find yourself in Kara’s car and heading towards a bar.

“Are you sure you’re okay to do this? There’s no rush. They can wait.”

“No. I’m fine. It’s okay.” You feel nervous but you know you have to do this for yourself. You’ve been hiding for weeks and it’s gotten you nowhere.

As soon as you step into the bar, you feel a familiarity wash over you that you weren’t expecting. You can’t remember being here but somehow you remember the place. You’ve stopped walking and begun to just look around. Kara touches your arm.

“Hey, Lee, you okay?” You try to smile.

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

“You sure? Honestly, nobody will mind you’re not ready and we can just go back now.” You’re grateful that she’s trying to be so attentive but you wish she’d stop asking if you’re okay.

“I’m fine, honestly. Let’s go.” You walk ahead, unsure of which direction to go. Kara walks beside you and guide’s you to a table. Three women are already seated and look at you expectantly.