Chapter 31

The burning plane fell through the air, and the swords finally unlocked. A heavy swing from Kroagan left Hiccup sprawled on the deck, but he popped up, and plunged his sword towards Kroagan's shoulder, which would incapacitate him, but not kill him.

Kroagan blocked, and kicked Hiccup. Hiccup slid backwards, and used his legs to knock Kroagan to the ground. Kroagan fell, and Hiccup shot up, then sliced at Kroagan with his sword, which Kroagan desperately blocked, leaving a chip in his sword.

Then, Kroagan used the chip in the sword to throw Hiccup off-balance, and they both tumbled to the ground. They both used this second to scramble away, and get to their feet. Then, in fighting stance, they both charged into another sword fight. As they fought, they began talking again.

"Stop fighting Kroagan! If this plane hits the ground, we both die!" Hiccup yelled, as he parried a particularly nasty sword attack.

"Never!" Kroagan grunted, as he lunged forward. "I'd rather die than back down!"

Then, with a nasty spin, he lunged for Hiccup's exposed side! Unfortunately for Kroagan, Hiccup had been waiting for this, and he used his sword as leverage to send Kroagan's sword flying off the plane. "Surrender!" he demanded. "Give it up!" Kroagan yelled back. Then, he glanced behind Hiccup, and he smiled evilly. "And you should know, I'm never truly alone!" Then, a gun was pressed to Hiccup's head, and he froze.

Slowly, Hiccup turned his eyes to the side, and he saw that a troop of kidnappers had landed behind him, and were ready to blast him to oblivion. "Your move, Hiccup." Kroagan sneered. Hiccup glanced around, but there was no chance of escape from the burning plane.

"Then you should know that he isn't alone either." A female voice said from above, and Annie and the other Dragon Riders dropped down around them, and freeing Hiccup. Annie threw him Inferno Zero, and they dropped into fighting stance.

Now, the two teams faced off, as the last three minutes in the air dwindled, until they hit certain death.

This time, the Dragon Riders struck first. Sarah instantly blew a couple of soldiers off the right side. Now the kidnappers were afraid, and they began to attack. The soldiers on the left blasted their guns, and Christopher met them with a shield. Then Tyler rammed them over the edge of the plane. The center people netted Tyler with amber, but Annie struck, taking out the middle, and Hiccup freed Tyler.

Kroagan roared in anger, and pressed the call button for reinforcements. Suddenly, the planes above them exploded. Kroagan looked at them in disbelief, and then saw Christopher, holding the actual call button, instead, he had swapped the wires with the self-destruct reinforcements button. Then, Christopher broke the button in half, and tossed it off the plane.

But Kroagan didn't necessarily need to call for reinforcements. Suddenly, five planes appeared out of the smoke, and hovered above Kroagan. "Try this on for size!" he roared. Quickly, he hopped on the lead plane, and they began to fire.

Then the riders were gone! Kroagan looked up, and saw that the riders were mounted on the dragons, and ready for battle! "Destroy them!" he roared, and the final wing of the battle came to play.

The planes fired again, but Mango easily blocked with a lava blast. Then Azure blasted the amber and Tyler jumped onto the windshield of the lead plane, obscuring it's vision.

Sarah and Z wasted no time in blasting the heat-proof metal, and pulling out the deadmetal. Then Annie and Moonglow went in, obliterating all the planes except for the lead one.

In seconds, Kroagan's force had been reduced to rubble. He stood there, openmouthed. "How?!! How did you defeat me so fast?!!" "Simple," Hiccup said matter-of-factly, "Dragons." Then he fired at the lead plane, blasting it to smithereens. Kroagan just cleared the plane, and landed on the falling flatbed.

Hiccup landed on the plane, and walked up to Kroagan. "You have imprisoned innocent children, and forced them into slavery. You have been cruel, and refused to let go of the evils in the distant past. You have killed for pleasure, for sport, even for the simple want of human blood! And now, it is time for you to die." Hiccup raised his sword, in the manner of an executioner. Then, as he was about to bring the sword down, his eyes softened. "But I will not be the one to do it." Kroagan looked up in surprise. Hiccup extinguished his sword, and crouched down slightly. "No. Not me, you will." Then, he grabbed Kroagan's sword and jumped off the flatbed, and Shadow caught him. They hovered, and watched as Kroagan's brow furrowed in surprise. "How will I kill myself?" But Hiccup and Shadow had already flew away, without looking back.

They didn't even look back when Kroagan yelled in surprise as he saw the ground below him, or when the plane crashed, with a resonant BOOM!!! Only then did they turn around, and see the destruction of the flatbed plane, burning on the rock. Hiccup pulled out Koagan's sword, and examined it. Then, he snapped it in half. "The mistakes of the past do not define who you are. I hope you learned that. Wherever you go in the afterlife, take that knowledge with you." Then, he dropped the sword, and it fell into the ocean.

The battle was over. The final planes were eliminated, and the sky began to clear of the foggy smoke. The oil and gas in the water was washed away, and fireballs slowly faded out of existence, even their smoke clouds disappearing. Within minutes, the battlefield was clear, and the bright noon sky was visible. All the dragons assembled behind Shadow, facing out to the Barbaric Archipelago. "Well what are you waiting for?!!" Hiccup asked. "Go out!!!" And with that, the dragons returned.

Dragons of all shape, size, color, age and everything else shot out, roaring as they saw the bright light, and the beautiful clouds. The sea and the sky, and the bright green islands on the horizon. Soon, the battlefield was open air, except for the Dragon Riders, watching the dragons plunge forward in an enormous cloud.

The other Dragon Riders pulled up alongside Hiccup and Shadow. "So what now?" Christopher asked, staring at the dragons with awe. "I thought this moment would be complete happiness, but I feel strangely nostalgic." Tyler said. "How much more can we do for them?" Sarah asked.

Annie and Hiccup were silent, then they turned, and said, "A lot." Hiccup continued the thought. "This was only really the first step. The Returning from the Hidden World has occurred, but the world, let alone just this archipelago haven't been filled yet!" Annie filled in the next part. "So we need to help the dragons along, and we can only rest when the world is in harmony." Then, Hiccup broke into a smile. "But now, we need to enjoy this moment! We won!" And with that, they all cheered, "We won!" And flew forward to join the dragons.

As the Dragon Riders sailed through the air, cheering all the way, Hiccup opened his arms wide, and thought, I thought I had found my place, but now I know so much more! My place is with my friends, among dragons, and in a world where peace is the norm! And I can certainly tell you, I will do a lot to get it! Step One complete, Step Two is a go!! And he shot through the open blue sky, without a care in the world.

And so happened the Return of the Dragons.