Chapter 4

I lead the way into the City of Bird Song. I expect Vlaric and Vladimir to continue conversing with me, but I find that I'm left out of whatever murmurings they speak to each other about while strolling behind me. As for making an effort to get to know me, neither of them seem to know what to say, or ask.

I'm not sure if it's because they're rude, or just hungry men. I consider taking them to the Inn Dorkas and I help run during the week, but I decide to take them somewhere a bit nicer. I'm sure they have more coins to spare, so I take them to a luxury Inn by the city water way. It wasn't much of a river, but it held a flow from a dam nearby. It helps feed fresh water through steadily. It also helped keep the centre of the city fresh.

"I'll wait outside," I murmur as I step to the side of the entrance of the Inn and hold out my arm, motioning for Vlaric and Vladimir to enter.

Both of them stop in front of me, hands on the handle of their swords while they're sheathed.

"Mona," Vlaric starts off so I focus on him. He's blinking and trying to think of what to say.

When he doesn't come up with the right words, I glance to Vladimir and he's also thinking with furrowed brows. After a while, the silence gets awkward.

"Forget about it, clearly you never wanted my company in the first place," I snap, "You should both have returned to the army boys than decided to walk with me to the city. Are all men dumb brutes after their balls drop?"

"Mona! Keep that loose tongue steady, before someone puts a fist through your pretty nose and it's crooked forever," Vlaric shakes his head, "You really are asking for more lessons?"

"He's joking, Mona," Vladimir cuts in, "Don't take him seriously, Mona. He's just riling you up... Mona."

"Stop. Why do you keep saying my name like that?" I snap at Vladimir, "That makes me uncomfortable."

"It's a nice name," Vlaric sticks up for him, "Mona. Mon...aaaah, well... pretty enough."

"Just. Go eat. This is the nicest Inn. I'm going home," I snap, trying to walk past them, Vlaric and Vladimir both grab my elbows and push me back when I try to walk through.

"Ah, ah," Vladimir chuckles, "Mona, are you being defensive because you don't have any money?"

I gulp, "...no," I hesitated too long, shit.

"Mona!" Vlaric suddenly screams my name, grinning because everyone is hearing my name being spoken in that bark of his, "Get. In. The. Inn. Now. That's an order. Now. You... whore."

Wow, Vlaric was so funny trying to embarrass me... were all young men as cringe inducing as this?

Regardless, I take the challenge to his insult. I jump a step forward, getting on my tippy toes and trying to face up to Vlaric's height.

"Don't call me such a disgusting word!" I hiss.

"...then don't ever dress like one again," Vlaric warns me, in a quiet, private tone, suddenly reminding me of my revealing corset last night.

My stomach turns, his little growl is.... damn, it's kind of sexy...? and I wish I didn't enjoy it so much.

"I look like a sack of pumpkins in this outfit, so shut, your, brute, mouth," I snap each word.

"Mona," Vlaric continues, only repeating my name incessantly since I mentioned it was annoying coming from Vladimir, "We'll be gone by nightfall so don't make this entire afternoon about us disciplining you. Please?"

I take a step back, shocked and not by his last words. By his first.

"Nightfall?" I whisper.

"Don't think about it," Vladimir grabs my elbow and hauls me inside the Inn. While I'm in a daze, I'm sat by a fire on a polished table and Vladimir and Vlaric order food while I sit alone for a moment.