Who? You?

A/N Well hey there. I'm real sorry this took so long to go up. Sometimes it just dosn't flow you know? And so this is also kinda short but now that we're going again, updates should start to speed up and the story should move on a bit but there's a lot of chapters to spread this over so enjoy?

Virgil's POV

   I pause for a moment. Consider it briefly. Sat in the cold and the dark listening to a prophecy unfold. I blink once, twice and then take to my feet.

"Where are we to go?" I ask the silence in quiet contemplation.

"North" a rough voice speaks.

   A sigh and a nod and may our journey commence. Standing now at the cave opening, overlooking the mist and the marsh and the shadows, I take the first step.

Romans POV

   I wake up with a sore back and an aching head, the world a little too bright and the quite a little too loud. A slight breath escapes my lips as I stand, the feather drops to the floor and I watch it fall. Delicate and pristine, fighting the age of time, floating forward and back, dropping at ease to it's resting place. Can I not be the feather?

   It takes me a minute to gather myself to walk out that door. Down the stairs, across the hall and to open that door. To see such a conflicting scene, were they good? Were they bad? Who had turned whom? The question remains unanswered as bright blue eyes caught sight of me, a small smile of greeting and a beckon to sit finds me leaning, alert and uncertain by the parent and the betrayer.

"Roman," Patton keeps his voice calm, "It was Deceit"

   The picture: coy smiles. An arm flung around his shoulder. An air of ease and joy captured at a moment of freedom. No one would ever do such things to their best friend, no one but a liar. And Virgil, oh no, Virgil had returned loyally to his side. Something must be done!

   He had no doubt that the truth was being told, that the darker side was at fault once again. He had no doubt that his- love interest -new friend, cough, cough was in great danger. And so they must ride out.

"We must go after him, and quick dear friends, less we lose him to this blasphemy!"

   No one questioned his great concern, or judged his rather dramatic desire for action, they merely followed with faith in his certainty. He had lead them for all their time here and he shall lead them now, through the dark and the unknown, back to his forgotten past, to retrieve the side they only wished they knew.

3RD Person POV

   Audenzia was returned to him! The great mare whinnying upon seeing him, trotting on unshod hooves to meet him. Her muzzle, velvety soft pushed into his hand in greeting, warm breath blowing across his skin, and heating his very soul.  He ran his fingers down her face affectionately, cooing in a soft voice how he wished he could run with her forever. And the nag replied with a bright look of adoration in her amber eyes and a small nicker to the conversation.

"If you're done talking to the beast, perhaps we should think about going now?"  The side, presumably Percy urges in scorn.

   The others he noticed were already mounted, Deceit on his dun mustang Denzin and Percy on a chestnut warm blood he had not yet met. He rushed to Audenzia's side, foot jumping to the stirrup and gliding easily into the saddle. And how good it felt, to be back on horseback, the leather suited for him alone, the stirrups light on his feet and the reigns fitting perfectly in his hand. How good it was to have his mare move forward when he clucked his tongue, the power beneath her muscles and the grace of the horse in her stride. How great it was indeed.

   They made good progress, cantering freely on barley noticeable paths. Virgil was happy again, smiling against the wind that battered his face, and taking his horses mane in his free hand. He had missed the silky strands, fading from black at her roots to white at her tips. He had missed throwing his arms around her neck, brushing her silver, dappled fur. How it changed tones with the seasons, growing darker in summer, and almost completely white in winter. How when no one was watching they would slip away and ride under the gentle caress of the moonlight, would stop in a clearing and watch the stars, feel at peace in the freedom that was the night. He missed running.

   The thunder of 24 hooves as they raced at full sprint to wreck havoc on the towns. Brandishing weapons and sticks of fire, throwing them into the chaos. Leaning forward into your steed neck as they reared in excitement or fear, or because you told them to. The thrill of sitting just above the flames and the terror and the anger. Being just above your oppressors as you chased them for once.

   He missed laughing about it afterwards when they slipped back onto campus, how they joked and congratulated each other, it made him feel good, like he was worth something to someone. He missed being worth something to the Light Prince, when he saved him, when he protected him, if only he could.. He didn't know what he wanted; he wasn't supposed to want anything. But he wished, and now, wishing isn't the same as wanting, not if you think about it carefully, he wished that things could just be better.

   And so did Roman, mounting up all that distance away. Sitting on a white stallion and watching the divide. Was he really going to lead his family through this. Take them into the depths of who knows what for God knows what? One step over that line and there was no turning back, the wall would be closed until they were happy that their mission was over. He should send them back, go on alone, he wouldn't risk their necks for his mistake.

"We're coming with you Roman" Patton reads his mind as he so often does, he opens his mouth to argue but quickly realizes there is no point. A sigh trembles from his lungs and they step over the line, the clopping of shoes on stone turns to the squelch of mud. Chinking tack breaks the silence, but it is the only thing, allowing Roman to otherwise drown, and he just wished someone would ask if he were alright.

***

"You alright there V?" a voice breaks him from his thoughts. He doesn't look round to speak, keeping his eyes trained on the moon grey ears in line of sight.

"Yes" he tries after a moment, "Just wishing I could be normal I guess"

"Who? You? Virgil, with your status quo you were always to be normal. Never mind all this destiny malarkey and your bloodline and who you hung out with, the whole side you come from  gives way to being normal. But what's wrong with that? We never get through it do we, and we have less fun than anyone else ever does so I see it as losing. We're not gonna get through this V. We aren't."

A/N well I hope this was alright. Please let me know about any errors or any particular plot you would like to see in the story, I will try to work on them. Also I really do appreciate any comments I get you guys, it makes me realize there are people who genially want this story continued so thank you and until next time.