Psyche ( Short Version )

The Greek goddess Psyche started life as a beautiful  mortal and became a goddess when Zeus, the ruler of the Olympians, ordained her marriage to Eros, the god of love who was the son of Aphrodite. 

In a legend that later became the basis for "Beauty and the Beast, the goddess Psyche, unlike most of the other Greek goddesses, acquired her status as a goddess by "marrying up".  Then the loving Psyche then proved herself worthy of the honor.

Psyche had to prove her worth to her mother-in-law, the goddess Aphrodite, by accomplishing a series of dangerous feats that were seemingly impossible. 

By successfully learning the lessons these tasks required, the goddess Psyche embarked on a remarkable journey of self-discovery and personal growth that earned her the respect of all the gods and goddesses on Mount Olympus, not to mention the respect and undying love of her husband.

Having learned to confront all the dark and mysterious places of the soul, Psyche was well-prepared for her eventual union with her beloved.

The myths of the Greek goddess Psyche remind us that the integration of our experiences, however sad or frightening they may be, mature and transform us, like her symbol, the butterfly, emerging into the light from the darkness of the cocoon.