Chapter I

*beep beep beep*

Ugh... I say to myself. I really don't want to go to school because if I do, I'll see her. My crush. Yes, I'm gay but I haven't told my parents yet. It's not that I don't want to, it's just... they won't accept me for who I'm in love with.

I roll out of bed, my curly brown hair looking a nest for birds. Half asleep, I waltz into the bathroom to get ready. I flicker on the lights and get a good look at myself. Pale skin, rosy cheeks, freckles, and hazel brown eyes stare back at me. Yup, that's me! In the flesh and as gay as ever.

"Carolina!!!", my mom screams from the kitchen, "hurry up, you're going to miss our family breakfast before school."

"Coming mom!" I yell back. But of course she doesn't hear me because moms can't hear when you're yelling from the stairs.

I get dressed and throw my hair into messy bun with a bright red scrunchie, my crush's favorite color. Lame I know.

I hobble downstairs to the smell of strong coffee mixed with a little vodka, my dad has a drinking problem but we don't talk about that.
"Hey mom, good morning!" I chirp.

"Morning sweetie," she says back, her eyes baggy from no sleep because my dad was drunk last night,

"I made some eggs and bacon! Your favorite."
Oh no, I think to myself, I can't have bacon, she'll know...

"Oh, thanks mom..." I look down at my feet, "but I really can't eat this... this pork"

"Well why the hell not? You love bacon and I made it for you. Gosh you're so ungrateful!!" Her face is getting red and plump like a tomato.

"I'm sorry mom, it's just, my crush at school doesn't like meat and I don't want to like meat."

"Well I don't care, your eating it." She puffs back.
I comply and pick at the bacon, hardly eating without turning my stomach.

"Well, your bus is here, thanks for wasting my food." My mom scoffs at me. I cry a little inside.

I stomp out the door feeling sick to my stomach. Hopping on the bus I find an empty seat for myself. I plug in my headphones and play My Chemical Romance while I gaze out the window as the bus rumbling down the road.