3: Penance

First came the sirens, and then the questions. Doctors came and went. My parents came, trying to comfort me. Everything was a haze, a fog. Nothing was alright. I kept reliving it.

Jonas Brothers, my head out the window, the explosion. Darkness. Death. Blood. Screaming. Horror. Regret.

It played on a loop. Nothing brought me solace, and I had no answers. There was a car bomb on our Uber. No one could tell me why. But deep down I knew. I heard the angry voice of David De Silva, a boy I had known since I was in diapers. You will regret this. But I knew better. No one could prove anything. David was already back together with Chelsea, who would likely vouch for him. How do you catch an invisible demigod? Did he even need a bomb, or did he set it off with his mind? That is how I would do it, though I never would. I drank and fucked around, but murder... David needed to pay.

I turned off my phone and sat in darkness for weeks. I dropped out of my class. No one, not mom or Luke or Wes or Genesis could reason with me. I was born to protect humans, my humans. My stupid and carefree drunk frat guys, and I let them die. They burned to death. Because I was a whore. But there was nothing I could do. Nothing at all.

I could heal the sick, but dead was dead. No one could change that, except for maybe Hades himself.

The thought echoed in my head like a steady drumbeat. Hades may be able to help. If I could bring them back, I could sleep at night. I had to bring them back. It was not a choice.

***
I picked at my breakfast, pushing the bacon away. It reminded me of the blood on my hands now.

"Mom," I said. "If someone is murdered, where do they go?"
"Depends," she said. "If they are at peace, they move on."
"And if they are not at peace, because their murderer is walking free..."
"Honey, do not do this," she said.
"Would they stay in the underworld?"
"No, the underworld is to divide souls. To move on, to stay for torment, or to move to purgatory."
"Like you," I said.
"Purgatory is for special circumstances. People who were not supposed to die. The rare cosmic glitches."
"Cosmic glitches," I whispered. "Is that when a supernatural being causes a death prematurely?"
"Do you think the guys were reaped early?"
"No," I said. "Nevermind, it is silly."
She shook her head, pulling me in for a hug.
"You can tell me anything," she said. "Anytime."
I felt a tear fall on my face and I shook my head. I needed to be strong, because I had a plan now.

***

It did not take me long to find the underworld. It was dark and full of fire, but it was the smell of sulfur that overtook me. One of the reapers, Jericho, was a man I had heard many tales about. I approached the boat he was captain of, ushering souls back and forth. I approached it and cautiously waved at him.

"Hey," he said. "You are not dead. Why are you here?'
"It is fine, I am a Goddess."
"You married to Hades?"
"No..."
"Than you cannot be here," he shouted. "It is not safe."
"I need to speak to Hades. It is urgent. Tell him Leia is here."
"You are Macy's daughter," he said.
I nodded. He rolled his eyes. He definitely knew my mother.
"Get in," he motioned.

I rode through the underworld, dazzled by the horrifying lights. The river was made entirely of fire, but you could still see the faint outline of black creatures rifling below the surface.
"River monsters," Jericho whispered. "Gnarly bastards. They will chew on you for all of eternity. It's where we threw Hitler, right into the fucking river."
I let out a laugh and I smiled. I haven't laughed in a while.
"So you knew my mom?"
"She was one of the fiercest reapers of all time, total badass. I assume she still is. I used to date your family's ward, Carmen. Good times."
"So she lived here, with Hades."
"Not with Hades, with the reapers. Hades tried to make a pass or two. He honestly has been better. He hasn't had a concubine in like a decade."
"Wow," I said. "What is a concubine?"
"A sex slave..." he repleid casually. "And Helena, the chick who killed your mom,she used to be Hades favorite mistress. Then he almost died and he banished her. "
"So, is he compassionate?"
"Who, Hades?"
"Yes..."
"Do you know where you are?" Jericho asked.
"Nevermind," I said.
I let the ship drift into the night and my thoughts drifted with them.
***