Chapter 1: The Beginning of Everything ( Rewritten )

Sorry guys, I figured I had to rewrite this. :/

Thanks to Cytolene for the suggestions and critiques, oh lala. :3

Hope this doesn't piss you guys off. :P

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1: The Beginning of Everything

Darkness.

The coldness of the floor against her trembling body spread out, from her fingers up to her chest, crawling up to the back of her neck. Her chest was shaking slightly from the breathing as she reached out to touch her neck, but there was nothing.

Sitting up in fear, she looked around. She was surrounded by racks, so tall that they extended to the ceiling. They aligned closely together, leaning against the strong walls all the way down, to the narrowed end.

She squinted at the dark end of the hallway. There was nothing. Emptiness. She backed away, knocking into one of the racks behind her. Dusts flew in clouds as a couple of books fell off the rack, hitting her on the head. Coughing, she whimpered as her tiny hand reached out to pick up the heavy book. She stood on tiptoe, trying to put them back ---- but it was no use, because she could barely reach the third row.

Then there was something. Something sprinted across the hallway, brushing her back as it did so. She whirled around and hugged her chest protectively, but the hallway was empty. She took a step back, leaning against the rack, her body started to shiver for no reason. She felt chills down her spine and goosebumps creeping up to her skin as she felt something funny tingling on her skin. As if someone was leaning in, breathing on the nape of her neck.

A loud thud came up from behind the rack, and she screamed.

She ran as fast as she could, heading down to the narrowed end, her eyes half-opened in fear. She slowed down when she realized there was no such thing as an “end”, because the walls kept extending forward. She stared into the darkness, and something flickered.

Light.

Suddenly a voice came up --- in her mind. It was a woman, her voice so thin that it came off as a whisper. Run, she whispered soothingly, run to the light, the truth is waiting.

And she did. Her chubby legs started running, sinking slightly into the carpet underneath for every step she took. She shut her eyes and kept running. She kept on.

And on.

And on.

Open your eyes, the voice whispered again. Look. Slowly, she opened her eyes carefully. The light was a lot brighter now as she became closer. There was a tall, dark figure standing within the light. The flames twirled and spiraled up the figure like wayward vines. She caught a glimpse of something spreading out from its back. Wings. They were flipping quickly, and feathers fell off into the surrounding flames. They caught on fire and burned in sparks before disappearing into a cloud of smoke.

She stood and stared at the figure in awe, intimidated by its beauty. It was so devastatingly beautiful that she already forgotten about her fear. Leaning in, she reached out to touch the light. Almost, she thought, almost…

Delinda. Come here. Come back.

There were voices. Muffled voices that came from everywhere, seeping into her mind. She stopped abruptly and listened harder. Familiar voices, ringing up in her mind, drowning the inner voice.

Delinda…

Delinda…

As a respond to her name, she turned around. Everything started to slide away --- the racks, the carpet, and the walls. She watched as the colors drained from them like paint dripping down, and disappeared. Then slowly, they faded, like quicksand, slipping away from her grip.