8: Fast and Furious

The following couple of days were a blur, Kayla skipped school following the incident and the newly spreading rumour of her and Tommy's 'relationship'. The rumours were spreading as fast as weeds, curving over the cracks of her broken soul and tearing her open like a knife. She was officially defeated, Tommy had continuously gone out of his way to pop up in the classes and after school activities Kayla attended, just to satisfy him as he watched the life drain from her eyes as they held a toxic gaze from among the sea of blank faces dividing them. Billy hadn't spoken to Kayla still, not after confronting her after the basketball practice. He'd been playing basketball again that day too, pushing Steve to the ground and, of course, getting the ball into the net. Steve even tried calling her, having a conversation with Tommy slowly turning his blooded into a dangerous temperature. But alas, Kayla stayed in her wardrobe of a room, surrounded by nothing but the four walls that kept her warm.

Kayla arrived at school, despite it being the end of the day. She strolled across the busy parking lot and straight up to Billy as he was getting into his beautiful blue car. Her hand smoothly wrapped around the frame of the door, looping around where the absent window should have been. Billy looked up in confusion as he started the car. "Kayla? What do you want?" Billy scoffed, looking around his car for cigarettes.

"To talk," Kayla replied, slowly reopening the door and looking down at the lion of a boy. His eyes lit up for a moment at the fact that Kayla wanted to have a conversation with him, turning the car off and turning back to her.

"Get in," he jerked his head in the direction of the passenger seat. Kayla nodded rapidly and jogged around the car, that once again, roared to life.

Kayla closed the door and the stained smell of cancer entered her nose as she looked back to the boy. "We have to pick up Max, so you'll have to bear with me," Billy added, pulling out of the parking lot. Kayla nodded whilst looking out the window at all the staring students. Kayla turned away from the window and back to Billy, watching him as his features faltered every now and then when the sun rays landed on his face. She took a deep breath and smiled awkwardly, "So, I've been thinking—"

"—Not here," Billy cut her off, not even looking at her. Kayla felt a small tugging inside of her as she watched the boy swerve the car into Hawkins Middle School parking lot. He parked the car and stared into the distance like he was in a trance.

"So, um, is your sister getting in the back or am I swapping seats—"

"She's not my sister. Besides, like hell she's sitting next to me when you're here," He shook his head in fury, turning to look at Kayla.

"Oh, sorry, I didn't realise—"

"It's fine, it's not like you actually know anything about me," Billy stated without elaboration, causing Kayla to fall into silence. His muscle tensed as he caught sight of Max, a small, tanned, red-head, approaching the car. He got out as he saw a boy approaching her and stopping her, starting a conversation.

Anger overcame his built body as he slammed the door and leaned against the car impatiently. Kayla looked at him through the front window as his blonde curls blew in the wind. She watched him intently as Max got closer to the car. Her eyes landed on the blonde in the car and rolled them like it wasn't the first time Billy had brought someone with him to pick her up. Kayla tugged at her sweater nervously and bit her lip.

"Who's that," She heard the girl complain in a muffle, walking past her brother and standing at the door.

"None of your damn business," Billy replied, muffled, still eyeing up the boy Max had been talking to. Kayla got out of the car, moving out of the way for Max to climb in the back as Billy walked back around to the driver's seat. "That kid you were talking to, who is he?" Billy questioned getting into the car beside Kayla. Max just glared at the back of Kayla's head, knowing she was probably one of his hookups, which was incorrect.