Hangover

-James's POV-

Gosh... Where am I?

I shot up from my bed way too quickly. I groaned in pain and rubbed my temples. My head hurt like hell. What happened last night? I can't remember anything.

I squinted through the light that was pouring in from the window. I grunted in frustration.

After half an hour of agonizing pain and vomiting in the toilet, I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand and wandered into the living room where Adam was sitting on the couch, a glass of water in one hand and his phone in the other. He scrolled through the comments on Twitter aimlessly.

"H... hey, Adam," I croaked, my voice raspy from lack of water. I stood in the doorway, watching him turn to look at me.

He smiled weakly and greeted me, "Good morning."

I returned his feeble smile. He suddenly stood up and handed me his glass of water.

"It sounds like you need it."

"Thanks, but I could've gotten my own glass-"

"It's all good. Your voice sounds pretty bad," he chuckled and patted my shoulder. I grinned at his touch and chugged the whole rest of the water.

"So... what happened last night?" I asked when we sat on the couch. There were a few moments of awkward silence.

-Adam's POV-

I was slightly taken aback on this question. I remember vaguely of what had happened yesterday. I wasn't sure whether to tell him the truth or not to be completely honest.

"I don't know," I mumbled, knowing that I for sure was lying to one of my best friends. Yes, I did know. I didn't want to take advantage of him being drunk.

All of this thinking made my hangover worse. My head throbbed, my stomach churned, and my constant thirst begged for water.

He seemed to be satisfied with my answer, shrugging. I exhaled with relief, my head buried in my hands. It was hard not to be suspicious when my head was spinning.

"Wanna... go get breakfast?" he finally asked, breaking the silence. He stared at his feet, kicking the floor.

I grinned, glad I could do something other than drown in a pool of my self shame. "Sure, after this hell of a hangover is gone."

"We- we drank?" James asked, looking at me like I was crazy. Maybe I was.

"Yep. You drank so much last night!"

"No wonder my head hurt so bad," he groaned, holding his hand up to his forehead.

"Mine does too. Give me an hour," I declared, raising my index finger and closing my eyes.

-Time skip-

I looked down from my menu.

"Hello! My name is Vi, and I'll be your waitress today!" Vi happily greeted us. Her fake smile suddenly faltered and was replaced by a look of surprise. "Wait, James? Adam?"

I raised an eyebrow and glanced at James. Oh man, this was gonna be a long breakfast.

-Time skip-

We ended up eating and then listening to her fangirling over us eating waffles together. It wasn't really a big deal though, right? We were just two friends hanging out.

A lump formed in my throat just thinking about that. I wasn't sure why at that time.

The car ignited with life.

"That Vi is one heck of a talker, isn't she?" James chuckled, pulling out of the parking lot and heading back. "And do you wanna go home now?"

I really was just overthinking it all.

"Adam?"

Nothing is happening.

"Hello?"

I felt an arm tug on my hoodie. I snapped back into reality and looked around at my surroundings.

"Are you okay? You seem kinda weird today," he asked me, a sincere look of concern written on his face. He side-glanced at me, turning his eyes from me to the road and back.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I mumbled, resting my chin on the palm of my hand. To be completely honest, I wasn't sure if I was. Everything is going so fast.

James plastered a fake smile onto his face. I could see the worry and doubt behind it.

"I'll just drive you home...."

-Time skip-

I saw the front of my house slide into view. I sighed and watched.

"Actually could I... stay at your place?"

a/n
holy fuck i'm sleepy