Chapter 1 - Soaked

My name is Violet Mayfield, and I own the Mayfield Farm. I've lived in Stardew Valley for about two years already, but I don't often leave my farm. I don't have any friends besides my dog, Blue, and Emily. She always told me I should find someone in the Valley, but I always told her I wanted to make sure the farm was in better shape. Emily said my fair skin, light purple hair, and personality would charm one of the great guys in town. I never thought about her advice until today...

Today, I realized my farm was at a pretty good place. I had multiple fields full of crops, and a barn full of livestock. I thought back to what Emily had said months before. Maybe I should try to make more friends. I know Emily works at the town's pub, so if I can't meet anyone new, I could just talk to her. I finished watering my crops and climbed up to my porch steps. I went to my room and changed into my town clothes. A white t-shirt and cargo pants. I exited my house and made my way for the Saloon. 

As I entered the Saloon, the smell of alcohol and pizza filled my senses. I looked around at everyone sitting down. 

"Ayy, she finally came out of her hole." Emily raised the glass she was holding before lowering it and handing it to a woman. I went around the bar and sat near the fireplace. I ordered a drink and looked around. Emily came forward with two drinks.

"I only ordere-" I started to say before she cut me off. 

"It's for the guy behind you. I'll just leave it here." She waved and jogged back to the bar. I sipped from my mug.

"Do me a favor and hand me the beer." I turned around and saw a man leaning against the wall. He had a tattered blue jacket on and a green jersey on under. Maybe he could be a new friend, I thought.

"Hi, I'm Vio-" I tried to say.

"Just hand it over." He wiped his hand over his face. "I don't have time for you." He scowled at me. I'm emotional. I can't handle people getting upset at me. With a shaking hand, I took the drink and picked it up. It seems heavier now. I took a step forward, only to trip on the rug under me, soaking the man and me.

"I-I'm so sorry! I-I...um-" I picked myself up. "Do you need any help?" I reached to touch the man's arm. He swatted my hand away.

"Don't touch me! Can't you do anything right??!" The Saloon became silent. Emily piped up,

"She has a pretty kicka*s farm, Shane." He looked up at her and back at me. I started running out of the Saloon. Sobbing, I took a seat on a nearby bench. 

"This is why I don't go out. I can't do anything right. I only water some seeds and feed some animals..." I heard footsteps from behind the bench. Thinking it was Emily, I tried to fix my face.

"Emily, I'm fine, you should just go ba-" 

"Um...I-I...I'm sorry." I looked back to find the man standing there, in a soaking jacket. His hand was outstretched.

"I'm having a bad night. Can I start over?" I wiped my eyes and shook his hand.

"I'm Shane."