Chapter 3

Confusion wore Steve's face, he didn't get it. At all. He was away on a mission for all of two months and now there's a screaming, crying toddler in the living room of the avengers tower. The deafening cries which came from the child only got louder, tears formed perfect rivers down the sides of the toddlers cheeks. Steve dropped his bag on the floor to closely inspect what was going on, he approached the three girls hesitating with each footstep closer. Natasha's face paled instantly the moment she saw Steve who was now kneeling on the floor, face to face with the child, taking in all of their similarities, everything slowly piecing together in his head.

She undoubtedly had his eyes.

"Mommy!" Lucy began crying hysterically. Nat didn't expect any less at this point, she was already unsettled because of being in unfamiliar surroundings and she was already upset because she didn't want to go to bed. Two negatives usually make a positive but this is a 2-year-old child we're on about here.

The toddlers arms were up, giving Natasha no other choice but to hold her.

"She's mind isn't she?" His voice contained a mixture of emotions, anger stuck out the most.

"I can't do this right now, Steve" Lucy had finally stopped crying, she was reassured and now she was ready for bed.

"Then when, Nat?" Steve bit his tongue, holding back from saying too much for the sake of the child in Natasha's arms. This was heavy on her too. He hated hating Nat but she had no difficulty in doing this to him and that hurt.

"I'm sorry."

"Because that word with bring back the two years worth of milestones I missed. Thank you." Natasha exhaled heavily, all energy to carry on arguing at this current moment had disappeared in the blink of an eye, she had more important things to be doing right now. So the argument was put on pause the moment Nat carried Lucy to bed with zero explanation and no reply, leaving an infuriated Steve to vent to Pepper.

Tension in the avengers tower hadn't lowered at all by the next day, Natasha pausing the argument the night before was perhaps the worst thing she could have done seeing as they had both been letting their anger out on each other for the past 2 hours In the living room.

While everybody else was stuck in Tony and Peppers room trying to avoid getting caught up on sides.

"You could have just told me!"

"I was scared goddammit Steve, I should have told you, I know, I get it. She's Captain America's child, she basically has a target on her head! How was I supposed to know you'd care anyway, it was a drunken one night stand."

Those words physically hurt for Nat to say, especially when she watched his face sadden.

"I was sober."

Those words physically hurt Nat even more. How could she forget that Steve couldn't get drunk due to the serum. Mentally cursing at herself she sat down in defeat on the floor with her back against the wall.

"They've been quiet a while..."

While everyone else was going insane being too uncomfortable to leave the room, Lucy was having the time of her life bouncing up and down on the king sized bed, giggling to herself every so often. After a while she had since proceeded to pulling on Thor's long golden locks. She had watched her mother plating her hair every evening after baths and became frustrated that Thor's hair wouldn't do the same.

"Broke." Lucy finally huffed while crossing her arms.

"What's her favorite food?"

The atmosphere was definitely more healthier at this moment in time.

"It changes every week. Right now she likes grapes, but they have to be cut into quarters otherwise she wont even look at them."

Steve took a seat next to Nat, not to close, but still next to her regardless.

"That's a beautiful drawing Lucy, is it you?"

"Silly Peba, it's mommy... I miss mommy."

Pepper picked up Lucy who was holding on very tightly to the drawing, and proceeded out of the bedroom with everyone else closely behind taking this as permission to leave now.

"Mommy!" Lucy cheered in pure excitement the moment she saw her mothers soft features.

Pepper placed her down on the floor and with out even hesitating, Lucy darted in the direction of her mothers arms.
Natasha took the drawing our of Lucy's hands and admired it.

"You are so good at drawing aren't you sweetie! But next time you'll have to draw daddy too."

Steve felt a fluttering sensation in his chest, right where his heart is located.
That little artist was his daughter.