Shadows ~ River Tam

The world flickered.

/Her/ world flickered. On and off like a lightbulb near death.

Letting out a raspy breath, she flinched, hearing the Captain's voice in her head.

Zoe falling.

Calling for Wash.

"Can't hear you. Can't HEAR..."

Putting her hands to her ears in a futile effort to block out Kaylee's screams as the Alliance boarded; gorram hwen dan purplebellies, chasing her best friend, a sister, to the engine room, she collapsed to the floor, tears flooding her eyes at the mechanic's terrified screams for Sim... for Simo....

---

Sitting bolt upright, her bloodied hands smearing the pristine pavement, she felt her stomach twist at the ringing in her ears, letting out an unearthly howl.

"SIMON!"

Panic.

No.

Maybe... Maybe this was just another memory. Memory turning to dream turning to vision that wasn't hers.

Not. Hers.

Shouldn't have to carry it.

Rising lithely to her feet, the red gingham of her sundress ruffling in the wind, she spun slowly, wide eyes drinking in her surroundings. A settlement building. Perfectly manicured lawns.

Shuttle debris.

"No..."

Bolting like a deer, she flew across the roadway, falling to her knees beside the charred body of her brother. The one person who'd always stood by her. Who'd never given up hope.

Lips twisting, trying to smile, she grabbed Simon by his shirt front, watching in horror as the fine material turned to ash in her hands.

"Wake up... You /have/ to wake up... Simon. /Please/."

Bending, she curled up in a ball beside him, her head resting against his stomach.

"I need you."

Jolting at the sound of a moan, she looked up, jumping to her feet at the sight of Jayne Cobb, slowly sitting up, scowling at the sight of her. Stilling, her feet rooted to the spot, she locked eyes with the mercenary, slowly lifting a hand to point over his shoulder in the direction of the treeline.

"They heard the noise... They're coming."