Chapter 4

Miyuki's eyes fluttered opened. Her head throbbed and the ringing in her ears persisted, even as she sat up. Instinctively, her hand moved to clutch her forehead and she groaned in pain. Everything was blurry.

She felt a hand on her shoulder and turned to look at the grey blob that stood next to her. A cold water bottle was pressed to her face before she could open her mouth to speak. 

"It's open. Drink it. You got hurt and passed out." The voice sounded gentle, but Miyuki knew instantly whose it was. 

It disgusted her. 

Miyuki would have tossed the water bottle back at her, but she barely had any strength to even grip it in the first place. She took it reluctantly and drank as much as she could in a single breath before pushing it back towards the girl. 

Slowly but surely, Miyuki was able to clearly see everything, including the owner of the voice. 

Gin Akumu. 

She hated her with all her passion. Why did she have to come to the rescue? Why was she always around when Miyuki made a mistake? She hated it. She hated Gin, and nothing could change that. 

Despite Gin's solemn yet knowing face, she took the water bottle back, setting it aside next to the unconscious form of Emi.  "She's fine. I had to use the grief seed on both of your soul gems or you would have... I'm sorry," Gin mumbled, feeling Emi's forehead with the back of her hand. "I should have arrived sooner."

"You didn't have to do anything." Miyuki shouldn't be getting mad over someone lending her and Emi a hand, but it was Gin of all people. She clenched her fists and glared at Gin, but who she had to be mad at was herself. Miyuki should have been more cautious, and forgetting to do so nearly cost the two of them their lives. If she hadn't been so careless to drag Emi in with her without any practice whatsoever or even without realizing what abilities she could have had, the two of them wouldn't have wasted a grief seed that could have helped them later on. 

Miyuki could see Gin's eyes fill with pity, and she just wanted to lunge at her. If only she had the strength and didn't have to worry about Emi, she would have. After all, it was Gin's fault. Miyuki could never forgive her for what she had done, even if it was in the past. 

"Your palms are bleeding... You're gripping too tight," Gin said. The silver haired girl attempted to grab Miyuki's hands, but Miyuki responded by pushing her away. Gin flinched, and stood to her feet. "I'm sorry. If you need any help, please don't hesitate to reach out. What happened in that Labyrinth was not your fault, nor was it Emi's. I'm so-"

"Just shut up and leave already!" Miyuki lashed out, knocking the water bottle over, splashing both her and Gin. Water poured out on the ground between the two of them. With a final glance back towards Emi, Gin disappeared after Miyuki blinked.

Left behind to deal with Emi and the buzzing of the cicadas, Miyuki sat for a moment by herself. It's not my fault for being mad, it's Gin's! If she hadn't been there, I could have... I could have... 

Miyuki couldn't even bring herself to finish her thoughts before she felt a tear slide down her cheek. She slapped the sides of her face to gather her bearings before sitting by Emi's side in order to wait for the young girl to open her eyes. 

Everything that happened in that Labyrinth was Kyubey's fault. It knew a witch would be arriving soon, and it knew Miyuki would jump at the chance to teach this newly contracted girl by throwing her into the midst of danger. Never did Miyuki realize how much power Emi's wish would have. She never expected the familiars to immediately target Emi, even when she had heard the girl's wish only hours beforehand. 

How could she be stupid! Miyuki dug her fingers into her palms once again. She was gullible and Kyubey used that to its advantage. No matter how much Miyuki had prepared for, there was nothing that could combat her own weakness. She'd have to plan even more now, to figure out the root of her gullibility before she could end up with Emi's life in the palms of her hands. 

It took the stirring of Emi to snap Miyuki out of her trance. She reached to grab the water bottle, but let out a small sigh when she realized what she had done earlier. "Ah..." 

"Mi... Miyuki? Where am I? Where... Why are we here? Weren't we fighting those things?" Emi spoke, her voice barely loud enough for Miyuki to hear. 

"Quiet down, don't ask too much right now. I need to get you some water, but I'll take you home right after. You'll have to guide me there, so I'll carry you. It's just been...." Miyuki sighed, reaching her hand out to help Emi sit up. "It's been a long day, I will explain once you can actually think."

"I... Okay." Emi didn't press further, but Miyuki could see the doubt in the girl's eyes. The lack of assurance really bothered Miyuki's nerves, but she'd have to deal with that later.

No matter what, Miyuki knew she was not cut out to be Emi's teacher. How did she teach Miyuki so well and how was she so understanding? Why couldn't Miyuki be able to teach Emi the same way that she had taught Miyuki?

Miyuki refused to even think about it, but she knew, deep in her heart, that she was a going to be a failure and Emi would have to face the consequences.