Fairy Tail: Borrowed time

It's been years.

The fall of Fairy Tail had been years ago. The guild was scattered across the twisted Fiore, looking for hope. There is no sun, and there is no moon.

In hopes to start everything over from where it began, Lucy stands before Eclipse to make one last stand. She stands before the slow, creaking gate, clutching her fur cloak. A hand lands on her shoulder, heavy and strong.

"Thank you for everything you'll ever do, Lucy." The raspy voice echoed in her ears. Somehow she finds a way past the lump in her throat, "Ah, I hope I can save you before it comes."

"Let's hope so too."

She gives a wry, cynical laugh, "Hope is wonderful thing isn't it?"

Her companion gives a small chuckle. Lucy joins in soon enough. As their laughs dwindle into silence, they purse their lips.

"Is it worth it? Will it be worth it?"

There is a whisper before the light envelops her and she's blasted back to the past.

-x-

"It's the price we make and what we make of it that decides if it's worth it all."

Lucy laughs, throwing her head back, hand going up to wipe the tear that formed in the corner of her eyes. The looks thrown her way makes her laugh harder.

"Lushee's weird." Happy commented as he cover his mouth with his paw, a look on his face that seemed so familiar.

"Oi!"

-x-

Someone blasts through the doors of the guild, and lands into the bar, destroying everything in their path.

A shadowed figure stands in the rubble of the front, the others have their magic activated, stances in a defensive position, and lips curled into a snarl.

A cough erupts from the back, eyes snapping towards the figure of a young girl, her head slowly lifting up from the destroyed shelves and bottles. Her ruby slitted eyes meet golden ones in anger, her teeth gritted, and her fingers twitching in agitation.

"B-Bastard." She spits it out venomously, activating her magic as it surrounds her in a soft glow, making her hair float and clothes to drift. The figure laughs, a smirk on their lips, "Thanks."

"Who the hell are you!" Erza yells, golden eyes slide towards the redhead, eyebrows raised in slight amusement.

"Oh? It seems we've reached Magnolia."

Natsu steps up, "What's your business here?"

The man grins. "That girl," he points towards the slowly standing lavender haired stranger, "seems determined to interfere with our plans, and you just happened to be collateral."

"You shut the hell up!" The lavendette steps up shakily, fists lighting up in a indigo color with a silver tint, eyes start to rotate and slowly form a clock.

"Oho, fighting seriously now, huh?"

A sword passes by him, cutting off strands of his golden hair.

"Who are you?"

He smirks.

"Celestial Serial Killer."

"Huh?"

The lavendette walks up towards the man, passing by the shocked mages.

"He's come to kill Celestial Spirit Mages and steal their keys, especially Zodiac keys."

Lucy's hand wraps around her keys, eyes wide and hands trembling.

"It seems you have a celestial spirit mage."

The golden eyes seemingly lock onto Lucy's figure.

"It's been awhile."

-x-

Lucy Heartfilia is given another chance to make a right and save the guild from destruction. In a deal made in the future, Lucy lives until time has caught up to her. In other words, when Lucy reaches the age she went back in time, she will die. It's a life with borrowed time, and it's worth it if the others can go past theirs in the cost of hers.

But will it be enough?

-x-

"Have you heard of the story of the Sun and the Moon?"

Lucy turns her head to look at the small figure of the girl. Her crimson eyes so wide it made her appear innocent. Lucy gives a wry smile, eyes slightly shadowed.

"I believe I have."

The lanvendette tilts her head, surprise lighting up her features. The girl purses her lips, a hand from behind her back coming up to her lips to cover what she's about to say, and for a second, Lucy almost forgets the guild is where she is because it's so silent.

"Have we met before?"

Yes.

"No."

"But you know?" The girl brings her face closer to hers, so close she can feel the warmth of her breath fogging up on her skin. She nods. "Yes," Lucy closes her eyes and lowers her head, "I know."

The girl steps back, her arms swinging slightly to her sides as she dropped it from her position.

"But we've never met before..."

Lucy sits down, her eyes not meeting anyone's as her bands shadow her face.

"So that means..."

Lucy looks up to meet the eyes of a girl she once met before and she feels her throat clog, and she's unable to breathe.

"We'd have met." The girl breathes out, realization dawning on her face, and Lucy gives a broken laugh. The guild members wince at the sound, they have never heard it come from her. The girl's eyes turn glassy and she kneels before her, her frail and pale hands shakily grab her own shaking hands, and she looks up at her.

"Why?"

Lucy shrugs, unable to formulate any response.

"It will never be enough, don't you know?"

She nods in response, lips quivering.

"Yes," she breathes it out shakily, agreeing, "It will never be enough."

No, it will never be enough.