Prologue | Enter Marcus Williamson

Marcus Williamson would not say he was enraged, but it was obvious to everyone else that he was indeed enraged. From the arch of his eyebrows to the undercurrent of a growl in his voice when he spoke, everything about him screamed how he was feeling.

Furious.

Every cell in his body was burning with rage, and it was all Marcus could do to keep from throwing something across the room.

When he awoke this morning, he had been in a pretty good mood. The sun shone through his windows, casting a haze of gold over the red and cream of his bedding. It had looked almost magical to Marcus in his half asleep state, and he had blearily thought, I should take a picture. However, when he had grabbed his phone from the nightstand next to his bed, Marcus had been distracted by the notification of a text. There, floating on his lock screen, was a message from his mother - someone who rarely looked at her son, much less communicate with him. A feeling akin to excitement flooded through his body as he tapped it and opened the text.

Mom: Your father and I are staying in London for longer than expected.

The feeling had quickly faded into disappointment.

Me: How long?

Mom: Another three months. We received word that old friends of mine were in town for a while and decided to visit. They are considering selling their business to us, and I am willing to stay longer if it means buying it and ensuring that it is being run correctly.

It had already been a month since Marcus had seen his parents - his father. Jade Williamson had never cared much for her son. In fact, the only reason she had even given birth to a child was so there would be someone to take over the company when she died. But Robert Williamson...

He acted like a father was supposed to act. Marcus's dad had read books to him before bed, played catch with him in the backyard, and always made sure his son knew how much he loved him. The only problem was that he loved his wife more. That meant every time she had to go abroad for business, Marcus's father went with her.

Marcus had sucked in a breath and stared at his phone in disbelief. A week or two he could have handled, but his father had promised, he had sworn that they would be back before school started in three weeks. It was a tradition between the elder Williamson and his son. Every year since Marcus had started school, his dad would drop him off and pick him up on the first day. He knew it was stupid to get upset over something like this, but it had been something Marcus had grown accustomed to and expected every year.

The grip he had on his phone was too tight, he knew, but it only got tighter when he read his mother's next message.

Mom: Your father apologizes for not being back in time for school and says he will make it up to you.

Me: Tell him it isn't a big deal.

Me: Have fun.

With that, Marcus threw his phone down on the bed next to him and rubbed his hands down his face. Then, at the top of his lungs, he yelled wordlessly at his ceiling.

-----

Not ten minutes later, Marcus was stomping out of his room, a white button up haphazardly thrown on, the right side higher than the left. Even his black slacks seemed off this morning. The ankles dragged along the floor and across his bare feet as he headed toward the dining hall for breakfast. Marcus didn't know why he still ate in the dining hall. The long, oak table gilded with golden leaves only made him feel more lonely, seeing as he was the only one sitting at it. With a huff, he plopped into the chair to the left of the head, always his spot whether his parents were present or not. A servant came out with a dish covered with a silver platter and set it down in front of Marcus. He figured his father would know the boy's name. He always made an effort to know everyone's name though, so Marcus supposed it was not odd.

"Thank you," he murmured, dismissing the servant with a wave of his hand.

"But, sir, your drink-" There was indeed a pitcher of orange juice in his hand, but Marcus was not in the mood.

"No," Marcus snapped, "Just go. Please." He added, taking a deep breath and pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Of course, sir. Enjoy your breakfast."

Right, because enjoyment was what was on Marcus's mind right now.