Prologue

"We found it!"

Through the clearing, the mystical ancient temple looms into view.

"I told you we'd find it!" Joseph exclaimed. "You said we couldn't, but I said we could!"

"Whatever, Joe," Mark grumbled. "You've been looking for this place for years. Why would I expect you to find it today?"

"Because today, my expedition was with my friends," he said, offering a hand to Mark.

Turning to the next climber, he asked, "What do you think, Amy?"

"I think that this was a waste of time and effort," she admitted, accepting his hand. "The only thing that this'll be good for is a plot for my books. Who cares about some dumb old jungle ruin?"

"My employers, for one thing," Joseph told her. "This is the 'dumb jungle' ruin we've been looking for! Neil, what do you think?"

"It's amazing," Neil said in wonder. "I need to take a picture of this for my paper. They're going to love it!"

Fumbling with his camera, Mark's brother snaps a photo of the ruins.

"My story's going to be the headline! I can see it already!"

Sean, the other triplet, is the last one to climb up.

"I wish Carson, Sam, and Patrick were here to see this, but they're busy," he said. "Dang, that's a nice view!"

"I know, right?!" Joseph laughed, rubbing his hands together. "Now, who wants to go inside first?"

Inside the temple, Joseph took the lead, carrying a torch.

"Just because I'm the expedition leader doesn't mean I have to go first, cowards!" he yelled.

"Yeah, you do!" Mark exclaimed. "It makes perfect sense that way!"

"Fine," he grumbled. "Oh, we're here. Just let me light the area."

He throws his torch onto a pit. Flames shoot up, illuminating the area. As if appearing from midair, treasures suddenly come to life, sparkling with bright intensity.

"I'll let you take one trinket each," Joseph said. "It breaks nearly every regulation my bosses have set, but you've been my friends since childhood for as long as I can remember. Make it quick."

The friends scrambled to find their prize.

"This should be good for my collection," Mark mused, staring at an ancient mask.

"I think this heart looks good on me. I just need to fashion it into a necklace. Know any good jewelers?" Amy asked, putting a purple gemstone heart on her neck and pretending it's attached to a necklace.

"Sorry, no," Neil apologized. "I'm taking this blue sapphire! It's incredible!"

"You do that, brother," Sean muttered. "This diamond should be a good top for my new cane..."

He looked up, asking, "Hey Joe, what about you?"

"Oh, this pink pearl should do me nicely," he said. "It's a nice creamy color, too."

He looked up, asking, "Now, does everyone have their item?"

A swift nod from everyone confirms that they've chosen.

"Now, Sam would probably like this emerald, I bet Carson would like this fiery orange gemstone, and Patrick this quartz," Joseph mused, picking up the items.

"Um, Joseph?" Amy asks. "What's that on the wall?

She points to an engraving on the wall.

"Let me see..." Joseph said, looking at the inscription. "It's an ancient curse, nothing to worry about."

"Read it out loud!" Neil yelled. "It'll make my story even better!"

"I really shouldn't. It won't be pleasant."

"Oh, come on! Just do it!"

"All right, all right," Joseph shouted. "Just calm down. Let's see here... Whoever takes our precious treasure shall be haunted by their own demons, especially the ones who misuse them. Tch. It's just some local bull to keep tomb raiders away."

"Like us?" Sean asked, his voice quivering.

"It's nothing to worry about. Ancient curses have no affect on us. There's no such thing as magic. Let's get a move on," he told the group. "I'm going to have to file a report about this place. Make sure you tell no one where you got these precious gems and whatnot."

Exiting the cave, Joseph calls a helicopter in, inputting the coordinates into his GPS. A few minutes later, one comes to pick up the intrepid explorers. As they ride away, each one of them thinks about their future and how this trip will impact them. Making a bestselling novel, winning the front page, adding another item to their collection. Little did they know how severe the consequences would be for each of them.