36.

As RWBY, Reaper, Qrow, Oscar, and Maria ride to Argus, Reaper explained through Yang about how the Apathy infested the underground of the Brunswick farms. Maria then takes out the last diary from the farm and hands it over to Oscar to read the last entry.

Maria: The Apathy. They're not strong or ferocious. They drain your will to go on. Bartleby's estate was hemorrhaging money towards the end. He wanted to cut costs on Huntsman protection, but in order to do that, he needed everyone calm... always.

Oscar: "Managed to get two away from their pack. Hike back was miserable, but got the bastards in the cellar. Wife thinks I was out sealing the waterway entrance. I'll do it tomorrow and tell her the truth once these things take the edge off of everyone. I'm tired."

Maria: The next page proves that he did, but not before the rest of the pack followed their missing pair all the way home. My guess is they made their way beneath the estate through the water tunnels that Bartleby sealed up the next morning. Bartleby's plan worked.

She takes the book from Oscar.

Maria: No one was angry or sad or scared. No one was anything. And then... no one was left.

Yang: Um, Reaper says that those guys were... "Bloody morons to mess around with Apathy"

Maria: I should have known. The signs were all there, but I'd never seen an entire settlement withered away like that. I suppose my mind just isn't what it used to be. But it's a good thing that Reaper knows Grimm better than anyone so he recognized the threat before it became a problem.

Ruby: Miss Calavera? How do you know so much about the Grimm?

Maria: Well, I've been around. I was a Huntress back in the day.

Reaper looks at her and does a double thumbs up.

Yang: Apparently you were the best Huntress in your generation?

Maria: Erm, yes I suppose I was the best when I was younger.

Maria smiles with pride.

Ruby: Well, what happened?

Maria then frowns and looks down while thinking of her story.

~Meanwhile!~

Circe uses her magic to teleport to Argus. She hums as she walks down the streets with her cloak covering her body so nobody sees the Relic on her belt.

Circe: This'll be the day we're waiting for. This'll be the day we open up the door.

She hums the rest of the bloody good song as she walks to a noodle shop and gets a cup of ramen. She walks away happily eating her ramen before seeing four familiar faces in front of her. A blonde man, a man with black hair with a pink highlight, a red hair woman, and orange hair woman. They were all with another blonde woman and a baby, probably out to get some food.

Circe: Oh, hello.

Jaune: Um, hi?

Ren: Excuse us but we're looking for the new Cracking Crates restaurant that recently opened around here. You wouldn't happen to know where it is, do you?
(Ripping off the Cracker Barrel restaurant chain)

Circe gasps and becomes all starry eyed.

Circe: Cracking Crates!? One of those opened up here in Argus and I didn't know about it?! We should go there now and feast on their glorious pancakes!!!

Nora: Yes! Another pancake enthusiast!

Circe and Nora high-five each other before they rush off to look for the restaurant in question. Jaune, Ren, Saphron, Adrian, and Pyrrha all blink with confusion.

Saphron: What just happened?

Jaune: I think we might've found another Nora when it comes to pancakes. Gods help us.

~One and a half hours later, brought to you by chibi Circe and chibi Nora eating stacks of pancakes while the cooks (assisted by chibi Ren) try to mass produce more pancakes~

JNPR, Saphron and Adrian walk out of the Cracking Crates restaurant with Circe, full and satisfied.

Nora: That was sooo good.

Circe: Better than the one in Vale and that one's pretty good too!

Nora: I know right!?

Jaune and Ren chuckle while Pyrrha giggles.

Pyrrha: Well, I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves.

Circe smiles at Pyrrha before hearing Jaune's scroll beep on a low volume

Circe: Hey Jaune, your scroll is beeping.

Jaune: huh?

He takes out his scroll and hears the beeping too. He sees that Ruby's signal had came back on. That must mean she's close!

Jaune: It's Ruby!

Circe's eyes widen at that name. They're friends with the girl she literally just robbed last night!? Jaune puts the scroll to his ear as it dials.

Jaune: Come on, come on.

~Back on the road, after Maria told her story about being the Grimm Reaper and all~

Maria had finished her story to Team RWBY, Qrow, and Oscar, who all have wide-eyed expressions. Reaper simply has his arms crossed.

Qrow: I can't believe it. You... You're the Grimm Reaper, you were a legend! And then you disappeared...

Oscar: How exactly does a legend just disappear?

Qrow: You never used your name, never showed your face. Lots of us thought you were just layin' low. Eventually, we just came to accept that you were probably dead. But the stories about you, I based my weapon off of yours. I wanted to be as good as the Grimm Reaper.

Maria: Well, I'm nothing but a disappointment, so you're well on your way.

Reaper holds his fist near his, er, mouth(?) like he was saying "daaamn" or something like that.

Blake: How can you say that?

Maria: Child, a Huntress is supposed to protect others to the bitter end. But after I lost my eyes, I only ever looked after myself. Even after my surgery, I was too afraid to fight. Afraid someone would find me again, finish what the others started. You shouldn't aspire to be like me, especially when some of you are clearly stronger already.

Upon hearing this, Yang looks down sadly.

Maria: It's... comforting, seeing that your generation seems up to the task of inheriting this world. I'm just sorry I didn't do more to leave it in better shape.

Ruby: Well, maybe you can do something now. Teach me to use my powers the way you did.

As Maria looks back at Ruby, a Scroll's ringtone can be heard. Ruby pulls her Scroll out and gasps in excitement.

Ruby: It's Jaune!

Yang stops her bike, looking back in surprise. Everyone says "Huh?" as they wonder how Jaune contacted them.

Weiss: How?

Ruby answers her scroll.

Ruby: Uh, hello?

Jaune: (scroll) Ruby! Oh, thank you! I've been checking my Scroll for your signal since we made it to the city!

Ruby: The city? Wait...

Ruby looks to her Scroll, her contact name for Jaune being "Vomit Boy". She looks at the little signal symbol under Jaune's portrait, watching it get better as she points her Scroll toward the road ahead. The group sees a hill where the snow ends. Yang proceeds forward to drive them up the hill. At the top of the hill, the group sees a walled city in the distance along the ocean.

Yang: Ladies and gentlemen, we have arrived in Argus.

Reaper jumps up with his arms outstretched in happiness that they made it back to civilization. Then his ribs act up and he's forced to clutch his ribs in pain.

End Part!