Ride With Me

"How do you work here? There's so many strange people." I heard Cat ask from the other side of the bar.

I shrugged in response and sat down the glass I had just cleaned. I then looked around thinking about the question she had asked.

Why do I like working here?

How to answer that. I really didn't know. The red head was right though. There is many strange people coming in and out of this place. I worked at a bar called Blue's Dot. It was on the other side of town, where the outcast stayed. Where there wasn't very many rich people. Where trouble was caused too often.

After high school, I didn't go to college. I wanted too, and I could've. Although my plans were delayed for a girl and then after things ended, I fell off. I wanted to do something completely different with myself. So I did the unexpected and found something else. Something that wasn't Jade. I looked and looked for something else to focus on, that wasn't meant for a future. I didn't want long-term anything anymore. I just so happened to make my way in this area and saw a help wanted sign on this dump.

And my brain thought, perfect.

Honestly, the best part to me is the strange people. They are all so different and unique. You got your druggies, alcoholics, punks, people of the rainbow, some girls and guys making their deathbeds, and even some normal people every so often. And with everyone, you get to hear the craziest stories.

And yeah, I've had to kick a couple idiots out. Yeah, I've had to argue with some assholes. They do piss me off and make me want to choke them out sometimes too. But that's the excitement for me.

So I guess that's why I like working here.

But rather than saying all that to Cat, I just responded with, "I don't know."

"Jade, get off your ass! We have people waiting for their drinks! Take it to them dammit!" My eyes shifted to the small angry bald man in the hall.

I growled lowly and snatched my rag from the bar, throwing it over my shoulder. "Okay!" I screamed back and shook my head.

He was what really made me mad. The only reason I didn't like my job. My boss and I did not get along. His name was Eric, but I didn't ever call him that. I normally called him an insulting name instead. Something to make him angrier at me. I knew he wouldn't fire me, I was too good at what I did.

Plus, the customers liked me. I didn't know why though, I was never nice to them. Maybe they like a bitch. Maybe it's their kink. Something different for them. I guess they did always say, 'Playing hard to get is sexy.'

"I don't know Jade, I couldn't do it." Cat sighed and sipped her mixed drink.

I shook my head and grabbed two drinks from the bar, making my way to a table who had been waiting. I always took my time, I didn't care to serve anyone like their slave. I made sure they knew they couldn't walk all over me.

Once I came back behind the bar with a couple empty glasses to clean, Cat spoke again. "So, tonight?"

She had mentioned earlier she wanted to go to a club tonight. We hadn't gone in a while and they were playing some bands around 11. I thought about it, but wasn't sure if I had wanted to. After my breakup, I didn't do much anymore besides work. To be honest, I would never admit this out loud, but I have felt so depressed.

Jade West is strong, always will be, but I cannot lie. Breakups are the worst. And they do indeed hurt, badly.

"Maybe." I bit tongue, looking down at the soapy water.

"Come on, Jade. They haven't had bands play in so long. This would be fun!" Cat whined.

"I just don't know. I don't really feel like it." If I had gone, I knew what would end up happening, I would stand there around God awful singing drunks and hate it. I'm already not in a good state of mind. I might turn into a serial killer if I put myself through that.