Unexpected Surprises

"Now as you undoubtedly know, a quinta'shal consumes magic

"Now as you undoubtedly know, a quinta'shal consumes magic. This makes them ideal for use against hostile mages. When under your control the digestive process can be accelerated to the point that there is hardly any loss of energy for the re-purposed blast."

- From Colvinar Vrium's Bestiary for Conjurers, page 12

Clothed in a fanciful garb of dark blue—a long sleeve coat and matching trousers—Amendal rode toward Soroth, but not on a horse. He needed something that could run faster, so he conjured a Yidoth: a large feral feline native to the southern forests of the Mainland.

Amendal had stumbled across this particular yidoth while in the Melar Forest. The beast was as long as a man was tall, and its back came up to Amendal's stomach. It was covered in green fur, with large dark brown spots sparsely spread across its body.

He rode the conjuration bareback, using his belt as a make-shift rein. Since he was in full control of the yidoth, he could easily rest the belt in the conjuration's mouth without worrying about undesirable bite marks.

The Yidoth drew the eyes of everyone Amendal passed. Its green fur and dark brown spots stood out against Soroth's gray stone buildings and roads. The conjuration startled several people, drawing alarmed screams. They undoubtedly recognized the creature.

Yidoths appeared in several cautionary tales. Those stories often involved yidoths pouncing on unsuspecting travelers. Those stories were not too far from the truth, as yidoths often slept on tree limbs.

After causing several fits of hysteria, Amendal neared one of his favorite nighttime establishments, Makivir's Lounge. It was not the fanciest of places to spend an evening, but its crowds were always diverse.

At Amendal's mental command, the yidoth slowed, stopping abruptly behind a parked carriage. Such a halt would have caused a horse to rear upon its hind legs, but the yidoth simply stopped. Amendal dismounted, swiftly drawing his belt from the conjuration's mouth.

Before Amendal could don his belt, a middle-aged man rounded the carriage with a younger woman in tow. The woman was quite attractive.

The man screamed upon seeing the yidoth, stumbling backward. The woman started, but not a sound left her painted lips.

Amendal grinned and turned to the woman, patting the yidoth's head. "You know if he scares that easily, he's not worth your time."

The woman glanced to the man, then back to Amendal. "Is... is that a yidoth?"

"Yes, yes it is," Amendal said. "He's perfectly tame... well, most of the time. He only tried to eat one person on the ride through the city."

The man stumbled backward, falling against another carriage.

Amendal burst into laughter. Amid his mirth he uttered an incantation. Golden light swirled around his hands—particles of conjuration magic. The golden light shot beyond the wary couple, forming a portal to the Visirm Expanse.