CHAPTER SIX

Today was the day of the Founder's Day Parade. I was dressed in a puffy yellow dress with small flower designs, it had off the shoulder mesh straps and my hair was pinned half up with the rest falling in curls. I looked like a true southern belle, exactly what Caroline wanted. 

We were all supposed to meet up at the school where we would load up on the floats. Elena left before me with Jeremy to meet up with Stefan so I was currently walking around trying to find Damon. We hadn't gotten to hang out much since our kiss but we talked everyday. I spotted him talking to Stefan and my heart skipped a beat when he looked my way. I looked him in the eye before curtsied and smiled at him. As I made my way over I watched Stefan walk away. 

"Miss Gilbert." He spoke grabbing my hand as I walked up to him raising it to his lips and kissing the back. 

"Mr. Salvatore, aren't you just a gentleman." I smiled big at him. 

"Only for you. You look stunning by the way." He said winking at me before pressing a kiss to my lips.

__________

After the parade I went and changed, Damon had asked me to meet up with him at the Mystic Grill. When I walked in I spotted him immediately. 

"Ya know, I like you better this way. The period look it didn't suit you."

"Oh, really? Because I'm pretty sure you told me I looked stunning and then kissed me." he laughed before grabbing my hand a bringing me to a table in the corner of the room. He told me about how they suspected John was mine and Elena's father I was surprised to say the least but I didn't have much to say, I didn't really know what to say. 

We'd been sitting in silence for a minute when Damon stood up grabbing my had and walking me outside. We were talking when the girl, Anna, Jer has been talking to walked up and asked to talk to Damon. I saw him quickly look back at me. 

"Stay right here." He said quickly as he walked back and over to Alaric, saying something quietly to him before coming back to me and grabbing my hand and we walked to Elena and Stefan. He grabbed her hand and replaced his hand with hers so we were now holding hand. 

"Damon whats going on?" I asked concerned. 

"I'm saving your life." He said. "Fifteen words or less, tomb vamps are here. Founding families are here, get them out of here, now." He said quickly walking away before any of us could reply. 

"Wait, what about Jer?" Elena asked looking at Stefan. 

"Don't worry we'll find him." Stefan said as we hurried away to look for Jer. 

We were walking when suddenly Stefan gripped his head and fell to the ground groaning in pain much like he had at the pageant with Bonnie. My mind went straight to Damon. I didn't know where he was but I needed to find him and make sure he was okay. I told Elena I was going look for him but she didn't pay too much mind to me as I ran away. After I'd ran all over the place probably looking like a crazy person I ran back to where Elena was last at. 

When I finally find them they explained to me what was going on and that it was the Gilbert device. They were using it to round up any vampires and kill them. Bonnie said she unspelled it but there is no way the device would have worked if she did it. Stefan quietly told me if I were to find Damon first to let him drink from my wrist if he was wounded and it would help him heal faster. Alaric left to find Jeremy and bring him home while we searched for Damon. 

"Hey, wait, I can hear them." Stefan stopped listening. "The building is on fire." He said before going in the opposite direction of where we were about to go. We ended up at a utility door on the side of dad's old work building. I swung the door open as we got to it. 

"Hey you can't go down there." Bonnie? I shot her a look before running inside. 

I could smell the smoke and it was dark but I knew this building like the back of my hand. I made my way quickly to the stairwell to the basement. The doorknob was to hot and there was smoke pouring from the other side. I coughed at all the smoke burning my lungs. I stepped back before running forward and kicking the door as hard as I could and it swung open. The stairs were blazing with fire and tears welled up in my eyes, how the hell was I gonna get- as soon as the thought crossed my mind the flames started lessening, thank you Bonnie, I thought before bounding down the steps holding my arm over my mouth and nose to try and limit the amount of smoke I was inhaling. 

"Damon." I ran to him immediately . 

"Em...what are you-"

"Shh, here you need to drink." I told him pushing my wrist at him when it looked like he was about to hesitate I lost my patients "Damon, we don't have time for this, drink now." I demanded. 

He gripped my wrist sliding over my wrist before sinking his fangs in. The feeling of him drinking from me was odd, just a sting at first but it oddly felt good. Almost instantly he was more alert and had more energy. He grabbed me around the waist and sped out the building with me. 

He stumbled then we got to the door and I started coughing really bad. My throat and chest burned, my eyes were dry and irritated and I felt like I was going to pass out. I could hear Elena, Stefan and Damon talking. Were they talking to me? Where did Bonnie go? Was Jeremy safe? Did I really just run into a burning building? 

All these thoughts rushed through my mind before I passed out. 

__________

"Maybe we should have taken her to the Dr." 

"Lena?" I whispered my mouth felt so dry. 

"Oh, Em. Thank god you're awake."

"What the hell even happened?" I asked I rolled over. Wait, this wasn't my bed.

"I'm gonna go get Damon, he asked me to let him know when you woke up." She said, she leaned down to kiss my head before walking out. 

"Well, hi, there." I smiled lazily when Damon walked in.  "What happened?"

"You passed out after running into a burning building." He said like he was talking to a child as he grabbed my hand and sat next to me on the bed. His bed?

"Do you know how stupid that was ? You risked your life for me-"

"No. I knew what I was doing and I would do it again because you're here and your safe." I said sitting up and grabbing his face. 

"You saved me. You risked your life to save...me."

"Damon..." He cut me off with a sweet kiss and I smiled. 

I could get used to this.